The regiment has a curious and unsubstantiated link to the Frontier Armed and Mounted Police (FAMP), formed in 1855. The link is made more so because of an instruction issued by the Deputy Chief of Staff in 1945. An FAMP artillery troop was raised at Komgha, Eastern Cape, in 1874, by Capt Robinson, RA, and when the FAMP was replaced by the Cape Mounted Riflemen in 1878 it affected the troop very little. In July 1880 the troop became a battery under the command of Maj Giles, RA, and known as the Cape Field Artillery.
By 1884 the battery had again become part of the CMR and drilled as a troop of Horse Artillery and in 1913 the troop became the 1st Battery, South African Mounted Rifles and in 1922 it was used in the Rand Rebellion as mounted riflemen. In the same year it became the 1st Battery, South African Field Artillery and in 1934, 1st Field Battery, South African Artillery, and in 1940, 10th Field Battery, 4th Field Brigade, later 4 Field Regiment.
Although pre-war ACF (later CF, now Reserve) artillery units were resuscitated in 1946; 4 Field Regiment was treated differently.
On 28 May 1945 authority was granted for the “construction and formation” of 4 Field Regiment as a full time Permanent Force regiment with effect from 1 April 1945. The instruction stated “… the new regiment was not to be confused with the original 4 Field Regiment (V), South African Artillery which was amalgamated with 22 Field Regiment on 1 October 1943…” It was indeed a strange move. For more than a year until the “original” 4 Field Regiment (V) was established there was thus two regiments bearing the same title, both with batteries numbered, 10, 11 and 12!
The decision was made stranger still when the Deputy Chiefof Staff decided and informed the Adjutant General on 25 June 1945 that: “It has been decided that the 4th. Fd. Regiment. in the Union is the same as the 4 Fd. Regiment. now amalgamated with the 22 Fd. Regiment. in C.M.F. and that it is to be a P.F. unit.”The Adjutant General’s office had earlier pointed out that “The 4 Fd. Bde S.A.A. (had been) brought on to full time service in 1940.”
With this background the seniority of 4 Artillery Regiment could be seen as much earlier than presently thought.