Register  Login
..::  »    Unit Profiles ::..

 
South African Forces
South African Forces
 

Welcome to the South African Unit Profiles.

You can find over 1000 South African units and formations (and some subunits) on here by using the Search text box or drilling in by Service and then Corps.

Wherever possible I have included a Unit Flash and a very short history or description. I would like to invite you, the members of the portal, to help build up a comprehensive and complete unit list, each with its relevant profile.

Registered Users will be able to post stories and upload photos to each unit, while Unregistered Users will only be able to view the information.

The concept here is also to allow Registered Users, or Members, to link themselves to units by the year that they served in, and optionally supply further information, like location, subunit, rank. This will allow others that served in that same unit, in that same year to find the member and invite him as a Buddy! Buddies will be able to establish communications with each other and build up that old camaraderie again.

This is still very much a Work-In-Progress that has already taken me the best part of 10 years work! Even so, I would appreciate your critical and positive feedback and I am sure everyone else would appreciate your participation most of all!

I have already integrated much of the Facebook functionality so that you could 'Comment' and 'Like' using your Facebook account, even without Registering or logging in. Soon I will hopefully be able to fully integrate the War In Angola users with their Facebook accounts.

To get started, have a look at how I have done 4 Artillery Regiment...

PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY REGISTERED USERS CAN SEARCH FOR A UNIT BY NAME OR PARTIAL NAME!

Enjoy...

There are currently 243 Unit(s) in this selection..... RESET LIST

3. Select Unit

Brief Description

11 Commando
11 Commando (11 CMDO) was formed at Kimberley and Gazetted in November 1973. The first intake of NSM's arrived from 9 January 1974. Most of the DTCS Training/Recruit wing Staff were transferred to this new Battalion. A lot more staff were transferred in. As most of recruits were area bound (Farmers, Business owners and essential service members) they would be allocated to Commando's after their initial training, they retained the Commando Beret badge. It was a independent Infantry battalion with Higher HQ North West Command in Potchefstroom. [From Sargent Major Johan Goodrich] On 1 April 1974 the unit's area of responsibility was enlarged by the acquisition of an additional company, stationed at Jan Kempdorp.

Albany Commando

Alberton Commando
The Alberton Commando [Afr: Alberton Kommando] was established in Alberton in the Transvaal. As the town of Alberton was only proclaimed in 1909, it follows that the origin of the commando would date to after 1909 sometime as it has been recorded to have been involved in the 1922 Insurrection. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 42 Headquarters at Lenz, as part of the Witwatersrand Command, and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Alexander Bay Commando

Aliwal North Commando

Alte Feste Commando
The Alte Feste Commando was formerly known as Windhoek West Commando, then it became Eros Commando which eventually in turn joined with Windhoek East Commando to become Alte Feste Area Force Unit when the SWATF was formed in 1980

Amatola Commando

Atlas Commando

Barberton Commando

Barkly East Commando
Possibly later known as the East Border Commando, based at Elliot, under Group 46, Umtata

Barkly West Commando
The Barkly West Commando was established at Barkly West in the Northern Cape sometime between the Anglo Boer War and 1914 as it was involved as a unit in the South West Africa Campaign of 1914, but was not active as an independent commando during the Boer War. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 22 Headquarters in Kimberley as part of the Northern Cape Command and was responsible for local area protection. The shoulder flash was authorised in 1977 but the rest of the insignia only in the early 1990s. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Barkly West Commando
The Barkly West Commando was established at Barkly West in the Northern Cape sometime between the Anglo Boer War and 1914 as it was involved as a unit in the South West Africa Campaign of 1914, but was not active as an independent commando during the Boer War. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 22 Headquarters in Kimberley as part of the Northern Cape Command and was responsible for local area protection. The shoulder flash was authorised in 1977 but the rest of the insignia only in the early 1990s. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Beaufort West Commando
The Beaufort West Commando was organised under the Group 5 Headquarters in the Southern Cape Command

Belfast Commando
The Belfast Commando [Afr: Belfast-kommando] was established on the farm Tweefontein near Belfast in the Eastern Transvaal (now Mpumalanga) in 1890. It was named after the Capital City of Northern Ireland. Despite the given established date, their registered 'Battle Honours' are Sekoekoeni 1876, Eerste Vryheids Oorlog 1880-81, Modjadji 1890, Maguba 1895, Mpefu 1898 and Anglo Boere Oorlog (Anglo Boer War) 1899-1902. Their first emblem was the 'Crowned Crane'. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 28 Headquarters in Middelburg as part of the Eastern Transvaal Command and was responsible for local area protection. The shoulder flash was authorised in 1980. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Benoni Commando
The Benoni Commando [Afr: Benoni-kommando] was originally established at Benoni before 1922, as it had been recorded that members of the commando sided with the Miners Strike of the Rand Rebellion. During the SADF-period the comnmando was organised under the Group 16 Headquarters at Marievale, part of the Witwatersrand Command, and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Bethal Commando

Bethlehem Commando

Bloemfontein City Commando
The Bloemfontein City Commando [Afr: Bloemfontein Stadskommando (BSK)] can trace its origins back to 1848 when Andries Pretorius raised a Commando of 1,000 men from the Bloemfontein, Caledon River and Winburg areas in the Orange Free State. It operated as an active Boer commando operating against the British forces during the Anglo-Boer War. It was reactivated as a proper commando, the Bloemfontein Commando, in 1948 after a period of inactivity. In 1956 the Bloemfontein Commando was broken up into two separate commandos, the Bloemfontein City Commando and the Bloemfontein District Commando. During the SADF-period the commando did several tours of duty in the Operational Area between 1976 and 1982. It was organised under the Group 35 Headquarters as part of the Free State Command and was responsible for internal security and local area protection during the unrests of the 1980s.

Bloemfontein Commando
The Bloemfontein Commando [Afr: Bloemfontein Kommando] was established in the Bloemfontein, Caledon River and Winburg areas in the Orange Free State in 1848 by Andries Pretorius who raised a Commando of 1,000 men to chase Major Henry Warden's Cape Riflemen out of the recently established village of Bloemfontein. Later, in 1866, the commando also took part of the actions at Thaba Bosiu (Bosigo) in Basutoland (Lesotho). It operated as an active Boer commando operating against the British forces during the Anglo-Boer War. It was reactivated as a proper commando in 1948, after a period of inactivity. In 1956 it was broken up into two separate commandos, the Bloemfontein City Commando and the Bloemfontein District Commando. During the SADF-period the two commandos were organised as part of the Free State Command and were responsible for local area protection.

Bloemfontein District Commando
The Bloemfontein District Commando [Afr: Bloemfontein Distrikskommando (BDK)] can trace its origins back to 1848 when Andries Pretorius raised a Commando of 1,000 men from the Bloemfontein, Caledon River and Winburg areas in the Orange Free State to chase Major Henry Warden's Cape Riflemen out of the recently established village of Bloemfontein. Later, in 1866, the commando also took part of the actions at Thaba Bosiu (Bosigo) in Basutoland (Lesotho). It operated as an active Boer commando operating against the British forces during the Anglo-Boer War. It was reactivated as a proper commando, the Bloemfontein Commando, in 1948 after a period of inactivity. In 1956 the Bloemfontein Commando was broken up into two separate commandos, the Bloemfontein City Commando and the Bloemfontein District Commando. During the SADF-period the commando was organised under the Group 35 Headquarters as part of the Free State Command and was responsible for local area protection.

Bloemhof Commando
The Bloemhof Commando [Afr: Bloemhof Kommando] was established at Bloemhof on the banks of the Vaal River in the northwestern part of Transvaal (now the North West Province) prior to the Anglo Boer War and was an active Boer commando operating against the British forces during the war. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 20 Headquarters as part of the North West Command and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Bluff Commando

Bo-Nossob Commando
The Bo-Nossob Commando was in the SWA Command.

Boegoeberg Commando

Boksburg Commando

Boshof Commando
The Boshof Commando was established at Hertzogville on 3 March 1974

Bothaville Commando
The Bothaville Commando was established at Bothaville in the Orange Free State during the Anglo Boer War as an active Boer commando operating against the British forces. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 24 Headquarters as part of the Free State Command and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Brakpan Commando
The Brakpan Commando was established at Brakpan on 14 January 1922, during the 1922 Rand Revolt, as a rebel commando under "General" R.B. Waterston, to help the striking miners. The rebel commando under a new leader, John Garsworthy, eventually massacred eight mine officials and special constables at the Brakpan Mine before the revolt was crushed. Garsworthy was sentenced to death, but later reprieved. The commando that had started as a Communist rebel movement, was eventually incorporated as a normal commando as part of the Union Defence Force. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 16 Headquarters in Marievale as part of the Witwatersrand Command and was responsible for local area protection. The original shoulder flash was authorised in 1969 and a later version in 1973. It was disbanded in 2005 after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Brandfort Commando

Bredasdorp Commando

Brits Commando

Broederstroom Commando

Bronkhorstspruit Commando

Bultfontein Commando

Cachet Commando

Caledon / Overberg Commando
The Caledon Commando was establihed on 18 January 1974, and renamed to Overberg Commando in the late 1980's. It was organised under the Group 2 Headquarters in the Western Province Command

Caledon River Commando

Calvinia Commando
Calvinia Commando was one of the original Boer commandos dating from before the Boer War. As one of the Cape Commandos, they were not called up for the Rebellion but did serve against the Germans in G.S.W.A. from their mobilisation in October 1914 until May 1915. In Febuary 1915 the Calvinia-Kenhardt Commando was formed out of the following Commandos: Louw's Calvinia Commando., Pretorius' Calvinia Commando., the Kenhardt Commando., and Vermaas's Scouts. During the SADF-period the commando fell under the command of the Group 22 Headquarters in Kimberley, which was part of the Northern Cape Command. The commando was closed down in 2006.

Cape Flats Commando
The Cape Flats Commando (also known as the Cape Flats Battalion) was established at Rosebank, Cape Town on 25 January 1962. It was organised under the Group 1 Headquarters at Youngsfield, in the Western Province Command

Carolina Commando
The Carolina Commando was established at Carolina in the Eastern Transvaal in 1859, previously having been part of the Lydenburg Commando. During the Anglo Boer War it was an active Boer commando operating against the British forces. In the time of the SADF it was organised under the Group 28 Headquarters at Middelburg as part of the Eastern Transvaal Command and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Christiana Commando

Clanwilliam Commando
The Clanwilliam Commando was organised under the Group 40 Headquarters at Wingfield, in the Western Province Command

Coligny Commando

Cradock Commando

Danie Theron Combat School
Danie Theron Combat School (DTCS) [Afr: Danie Theron Krygskool (DTKS)] was established at Kimberley in November 1967 as the Commando Combat School [Afr: Kommando-krygskool] and renamed in 1968. The School was initially responsible for basic military training and the majority of the recruits were area bound farmers, business owners, or essentials services. These recruits were to be allocated to regional commandos after their initial training. By 1973, the majority of the DTCS training/recruit wing staff were transferred to a new unit, 11 Commando, also in Kimberley. Since 1977, the DTCS was responsible for promotional courses for the Commandos and the Civilian Force. Officers and NCOs were trained in conventional and counter insurgence warfare. Promotional and Corps specific training was eventually transferred to other schools by the mid 1980s. In 1990 the name of the SA Intelligence School, which had previously been moved to Potchefstroom in 1988, was changed to Danie Theron Combat School resulting in DTCS subsequently based at Potchefstroom. (On 1 June 1996 the name of this unit was again changed, this time to School of Intelligence). [Also see SA Intelligence School]

De Aar Commando
The De Aar Commando was organised under the Group 5 Headquarters in the Southern Cape Command

De Mist Commando
The De Mist Commando [Afr: De Mist-kommando] was originally established at Uitenhage as a Town Guard as early as in 1846, in order to defend the towns of Uitenhage and Despatch and the surrounding area. It was soon renamed to Uitenhage Commando [Afr: Uitenhage-kommando] and its first Commanding Officer appointed in December 1856. In 1955 the unit became a fully counter insurgency battalion with reaction capability. The original emblem for the Uitenhage Commando was approved in 1973 and soon after it received the Freedom of the town of Despatch. The commando was renamed to De Mist Commando in 1984 and the modified emblem was approved in 1986, which the commando proudly displayed on parade while receiving the Freedom of the town of Uitenhage on 14 June 1986. It was organised under the Group 6 Headquarters in Southdene, as part of the Eastern Province Command. During September 1996 the De Mist Commando Headquarters was moved to Despatch. The commando was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Delareyville Commando

Delmas Commando

Donkin Commando
The Donkin Commando was upgraded to a regiment in 1987

Dordrecht Commando

Drakensberg Commando
The Drakensberg Commando was raised in 1961 in Newcastle as a company of the Dundee Commando. The unit became a commando in August 1964. A company did border duty in South West Africa in 1976. It was under command of Group 11 until that Group HQ was disbanded and was then placed under command of Group 27 in Eshowe. The commando saw much duty in the internal unrest of northern Natal.

Dundee and District Commando
Also known as the Dundee/Glencoe Commando

Durban North Commando

Durban South Commando
Durban South Commando was one of 147 units established in 1949 to replace the defunct Rifle Association system. The unit was officially formed in January 1949 and began recruiting members from all areas south of Berea Road. During the State of Emergency following the Sharpville riots in 1960-61, the unit was tasked with the protection of key points in their area - Mobeni, Jacobs and Montclair. In December 1986 the first National Sevicemen allocated to Commando units were trained and posted to the units. Under the emergency regulations in 1986 the unit had played a leading role in quelling township riots and had increased in size from 160 men in the early 1980's to more than 1200 members. The unit, on occasion, also sent modular platoons to SWA and also patrolled the Northern Natal border areas. It received its colours on 29 June 1991 and was finally amalgemated with Durban South Commando in 1994. The commando had shared the Monastery in Montclair with Gp 10 and Congella Regt.

East Griqualand Commando

East London Commando
The East London Commando was originally established at East London in the 1930's (exact date not given but published in 1939 with the English name). The newly established Border Commando (est. 25 Jan 1962) was amalgamated with the East London Commando in 1962. although the Border Commando cloth shoulder title still appeared in an SADF Badge Catalogue of 1970. It was organised under the Group 8 Headquarters as part of the Eastern Province Command and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

East London Commando
The East London Commando was originally established at East London in the 1930's (exact date not given but published in 1939 with the English name). The newly established Border Commando (est. 25 Jan 1962) was amalgamated with the East London Commando in 1962. although the Border Commando cloth shoulder title still appeared in an SADF Badge Catalogue of 1970. It was organised under the Group 8 Headquarters as part of the Eastern Province Command and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

East Park Commando

Edenburg Commando

Edenvale Commando
The Edenvale Commando [Afr: Edenvale Kommando] was originally established at Edenvale on the East Rand of the Transvaal (now part of Gauteng Province). During the SADF-period it formed part of the Witwatersrand Command where it was responsible for local area protection, then organised under the Group 41 Headquarters at Primrose, before it was transferred to the Group 42 Headquarters at Lenz. It is not clear when this transfer occurred. Sometime during the SADF period, atb least by 1987, it was upgraded to a full Citizen Force infantry regiment, Regimenrt Edenvale.

Ermelo Commando
The Ermelo Commando was based in Ermelo and part of Group 12 in the Eastern Transvaal Command

Etosha Commando
The Etosha Commando was established as a commando unit the Etosha area. It formed part of Sector 30 in the then South West Africa Command. When the South West Africa Territory Force (SWATF) was formed in August 1980, the commando became the Etosha Area Force Unit.

False Bay Commando
The False Bay Commando was formed from 30 Maintanence Unit and organised under the Group 1 Headquarters at Youngsfield, in the Western Province Command

Fauriesmith Commando

Ficksburg Commando

Fort Frederick Commando
The Fort Frederick Commando was amalgamated into the Recife Commando in 1994

Fouriesburg Commando

Frankfort Commando

Gately Commando
The Gately Commando was established at East London on 29 February 1984, the HQ being situated in Gately Street, Cambridge. They were later disbanded and personnel were amalgamated with East London Commando.

Gatsrand Commando
Gatsrand Commando formed part of Group 30, which had its headquarters in Potchefstroom, in the North West Command's area of responsibility.

Germiston Commando

Goosen Commando
The Goosen Commando was renamed from the original Mafeking Commando in January 1982

Gordonia Commando

Goudveld Commando
Also known as the Goldfields Commando

Graaff-Reinet Commando

Grootfontein Commando
The Grootfontein Commando was established as a commando unit at Grootfontein in 1957 when the local rifle commando was converted into a full commando unit. It formed part of Sector 30 in the then South West Africa Command. When the South West Africa Territory Force (SWATF) was formed in August 1980, the commando became the Grootfontein Area Force Unit.

Hantam Commando
Middelburg Commando (Eastern Cape Province)?

Harrismith Commando

Hartbeesfontein Commando
Also known as Hartebeesfontein Commando

Hay Commando

Heidelberg Commando
Heidelburg Commando was formed in 1851. One of its most iconic commanders was General Christiaan de Wet who farmed near Heidelberg. It fought against the British in the Anglo Boer War and against the rebels during the Miners Strike of 1922. On 8 September 1990 the unit was awarded a new colours by the General Officer Commanding Witwatersrand, Maj Gen W.G. Kritzinger. A new regimental badge was worn for the first time: a castle surmounted by a eagle of the old South African republic to symbolize that at one time Heidelburg was the capital of the Republic. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 16 Headquarters at Marievale as part of the Witwatersrand Command and was responsible for local area protection. The Nigel Commando was amalgamated with Heidelberg Commando on 1 April 1997. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Heilbron Commando

Herbert Commando

Hercules Commando
Hercules Commando based in the Pretoria suburb of Hercules. In 1983, the existing elements of the commando were converted into Regiment Pretorius and later relocated to Voortrekkerhoogte.

Highway Commando

Hillcrest Commando
Hillcrest Commando was established in 1962 in Hillcrest, Pretoria as an exclusively English-speaking unit, but on the Minister of defence's insistence that they must speak both official languages, it was decided to "Instead of one tale, our lion will have 2 tales, as the Minister insisted". The commando did some camps in Rhodesia, then became a regiment in 1983, where after It did border camps in the Far North Command.

Hoopstad Commando

Hopetown Commando
The Hopetown Commando was established in Hopetown in the Northern Cape during the Anglo Boer War as an active Boer commando operating against the British forces. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 22 Headquarters in Kimberley as part of the Northern Cape Command and was responsible for local area protection. The Wakkerstroom Commando was to amalgamate with Hopetown Commando on 1 April 1997. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Humansdorp Commando
The Humansdorp Commando was established at Humansdorp in the Eastern Cape. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 6 Headquarters in Southdene, near Port Elizabeth, as part of the Eastern Cape Command and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Insele Commando
Insele Commando was the youngest Commando unit in Natal and was formed on the 1st June 1979 from Umkhombe Commando. In 1987 the unit was evaluated and was awarded the best unit in Natal and was placed third in South Africa. 1981 Saw the Right of Freedom of Entry through Empangeni by the Commando. Through the years the Commando has given much assistance to the South African Police in various tasks, including the period January 1985 - June 1985. National Colours were presented to the unit on 29 September 1990. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 27 Headquarters as part of the Natal Command and was responsible for local area protection. Since 1990 the unit has been actively involved in operations of the SAPS and has taken a leading role in the plan to stabilize the area. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Irene Commando

Iscor Sishen Commando

Iscor Vanderbijl Commando
The Iscor Vanderbijl Commando [Afr: Yskor-Vanderbijl-kommando] was established at the premises of Iscor in Vanderbijlpark on 1 November 1969. The unit was the second industrial commando in South Africa. The main task of the unit at that time was to protect the safety of Iscor, a national keypoint. The unit obtained offices in the premises of Iscor which proved impractical. Initially problems were plentiful and organisational and administrative tasks were performed after hours. During 1983 the a new specific HQ was erected after Prof John Riddell, previously Chief Works Manager of Iscor, donated ground adjacent to Iscor for this purpose. On 14 August 1981 the official opening of the HQ was conducted by Gen Magnus Malan. On 1 November 1986, the commando was renamed to Vaal Commando [Afr: Vaal-kommando] and the emblem and responsibilities were changed. (Also see Vaal Commando)

Jacobsdal Commando
Jacobsdal Commando was established at Jacobsdal in the Orange Free State during the Anglo Boer War as an active Boer commando operating against the British forces. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 26 Headquarters as part of the Free State Command and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Jansenville Commando
Also Jansenville-Aberdeen Commando

Johannesburg East Commando

Johannesburg West Commando

Kakamas Commando
The Kakamas Commando was established at Kakamas on 6 June 1980

Kalahari Commando

Karoo Commando
The Karoo Commando was organised under the Group 5 Headquarters in the Southern Cape Command. It was disbanded in 2005 after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Katberg Commando

Keetmanshoop Commando

Kempton Park Commando

Kimberley Commando
The Kimberley Commando was originally established in Kimberley in 1936 as the Kimberley Rifle Commando and renamed in 1964. Its headquarters was initially based in the private homes of its commanding officers. In 1964, 1970, 1974 and 1980 the HQ was moved around until It finally shared space with Group 22 HQ at Scanlan Street. From 1976 the unit provided troops for service in the SWA Operational Area.

Kirkwood Commando

Klein Karoo Commando
It was disbanded on 31 March 2007 after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Klerksdorp Commando

Knysna Commando
The Knysna Commando was organised under the Group 4 Headquarters at Oudsthoorn, in the Southern Cape Command

Koeberg Commando

Koppies Commando

Koster Commando

Kroonstad Commando

Kruger National Park Commando
Kruger National Park Commando (KNPC) was based in the Kruger National Park. NKPC was a very small commando with 4 small base camps, Crocodile Bridge, Sandriver near Skukuza, Shishangane near Nwanetsi and a base near Shingwedzi. Masakosapan. Each base more or less platoon strenght with Sandriver as HQ. The main aim was doing daily footpatrols from South to North and catching civilians for there own safety run through the park away from war, or alternatively for the good food and shelter the will get from the SA army while going through the process to be deported back again to Mozambique.

Krugersdorp Commando

Kudusrand Commando

Kuruman Commando

Ladybrand Commando

Lebombo Commando

Letaba Commando
Originally establish in 1889 as the Lowveld's first commando, the Letaba Commando was [authorised as an SADF commando on 1 February 1978*] and located at Tzaneen. [* Unconfirmed]

Lichtenburg Commando

Limpopo Commando
The Limpopo Commando was based in the SMG (Soutpansberg Militere Gebied/Military Area) base outside Messina. The commando was reposnsible for border protection form Potdrift east of Messina up to the nature reserve west of Messina

Lindley Commando
The Lindley Commando was established in Lindley in the Orange Free State during the Anglo Boer War as an active Boer commando operating against the British forces. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 24 Headquarters as part of the Free State Command and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Lions Head Commando
The Lions Head Commando was established at Fort Wynyard, Green Point.on 24 July 1978. It was organised under the Group 1 Headquarters at Youngsfield, in the Western Province Command

Long Tom Commando
Long Tom Commando founded in the mid eighties in Graskop covering areas on the escarpment and Buschbuckridge with the famous logo from the Boer War the Long Tom canon, a replica standing outside the little town Sabie in position "Last Long Tom Canon in action". [Information supplied by Danie Louw]

Loskop Commando
The Loskop Commando was established at Groblershoop in the then Eastern Transvaal (now Mpumalanga, more recently part of the Limpopo Province) after the town was proclaimed in 1938. The town had been laid out on the farm "Klipbank" and named after the farm's owner. W.J. Grobler. The nearby Loskop Dam was named after the farm Loskop which referred to the lone hill on the flat veld which was only visible when the water-level of the dam was relativiely low. The dam formed the basis of a large irrigation-scheme which fed the local farming community from which the Loskop Commando would draw its manpower. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 33 Headquarters at Nelspruit as part of the Eastern Transvaal Command and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Lydenburg Commando
The Lydenburg Commando was established at Lydenburg on 28 August 1973

Mafeking Commando
The Mafeking Commando was established at Mafeking (now Mafikeng) in 1977 and renamed Goosen Commando in January 1982.

Magdol Commando
The Magdol Commando can trace its origins to just before the Anglo Boer War as the Transvaal Republic became more nervous of its British adversaries in Bechaunaland and Rhodesia. The Waterberg Commando gathered at Nylstroom on 11 October 1899. After receiving news of the outbreak of war, this Commando proceeded to the confluence of the Limpopo and Palala rivers to join with the Soutpansberg Commando, cross into Bechaunaland and destroy railway infrastructure. In the SADF-era, Magdol Commando was originally established as Waterberg North Commando, but was renamed to Magdol Commando in 1972. The unit was situated in the Onverwacht neighbourhood of Ellisras.

Maltahohe Commando

Marico Commando

Mariental Commando
The Mariental Commando was established at Mariental, in SWA Command.

Meyerton Commando
Meyerton Commando [Afr: meyerton-kommando] was initially established in Meyerton as the De Deur Commando [Afr: De Deur-kommando]. It was renamed to the Meyerton Commando on 1 January 1975. The old school building of Laerskool Voorwaarts was used as its headquarters from 1982 and received its Freedom of Entry to Meyerton on 10 April 1984. The unit exercised it right to the freedom of Meyerton when it marched through the town as part of the "Groot Trek" remembrance celebrations on 26 November 1988. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 17 Headquarters at Vereeniging, as part of the Witwatersrand Command, and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Middel Karoo Commando

Middelburg Commando
The Middelburg Commando was established at Middelburg, in the Transvaal.

Midland Commando
Midland Commando was originally established at Grahamstown as Fort Beaufort Commando, but was renamed to Midland Commando in 1962

Midmar Commando
Midmar Commando was formed under the command of the Group 9 Headquarters on 1 July 1979

Modderfontein Commando

Moot Commando

Mossel Bay Commando
The Mossel Bay Commando incorporated George and Knysna and was organised under the Group 4 Headquarters at Oudsthoorn, in the Southern Cape Command. It was probably amalgamated with the Riversdal Commando in 1997 as part of the new Langeberg Commando

Munitoria Commando

Murraydeen Commando
Originally established as Aberdeen Commando, it was renamed to Murraydeen Commando and authorised on 19 October 1972

NASChem Commando
The Naschem Commando.was established at Potchefstroom on 20 March 1984

Nelspruit Commando

Nigel Commando
Amalgamated with Heidelberg Commando in 1997

Noordvaal Commando

Northam Commando

Northern Natal Commando
The Northern Natal Commando [Afr: Noord Natal Kommando] was established in 1948 after the Defence Rifle Association had been disbanded. The newly formed unit was then called "Noord Natal Skiet Kommando". The Headquarters of the unit was at that stage based in Paulpietersburg and the area covered included Paulpietersburg, Vryheid, Utrecht, Groenvlei, Swartfolozi and Dannhauser. In 1960 the Headquarters were shifted to Vryheid and on 12 December 1977, the headquarters were shifted to Landdrost Street. The present Headquarters was occupied in 1985 and resorted under the command of the Group 27 Headquarters at Eshowe, part of the Natal Command.

Odendaalsrus Commando

Orania Commando

Oribi Commando

Otjiwarongo Commando
The Otjiwarongo Commando was established as a commando unit at Otjiwarongo in 1957 when all the local rifle commandos were converted into full commando units. It formed part of Sector 30 in the then South West Africa Command. When the South West Africa Territory Force (SWATF) was formed in August 1980, the commando became the Otjiwarongo Area Force Unit.

Ottosdal Commando

Oudtshoorn Commando
The Oudtshoorn Commando was organised under the Group 4 Headquarters at Oudsthoorn, in the Southern Cape Command

Outeniekwa Commando
The Outeniekwa Commando incorporated George and Knysna and was organised under the Group 4 Headquarters at Oudsthoorn, in the Southern Cape Command

Outjo Commando
The Outjo Commando was established as a commando unit at Outjo in 1957 when all the local rifle commandos were converted into full commando units. It formed part of Sector 30 in the then South West Africa Command. When the South West Africa Territory Force (SWATF) was formed in August 1980, the commando became the Outjo Area Force Unit.

Paarl Commando
The Paarl Commando was established at Paarl on 7 March 1975

Parys Commando
Parys Commando [Afr: Parys-kommando] can trace its history to before the Union of South Africa in 1910. Initially known as the Vredefort Commando [Afr: Vredefort-kommando], the name was changed to North Free State Commando [Afr: Noord-Vrystaat-kommando] in 1967. In 1972, the name was finally changed to Parys Commando. It received the Freedom to Parys in October 1980 because of its role in securing the town. In February 1985 an old Sexton-self-propelled gun was given to the commando by the SADF to use as a monument. During this period it was organised under the Group 24 Headquarters at Kroonstad, as part of the orange Free State Command, and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Phalaborwa Commando
[The 1st Issue flash authorised on 16 May 1979][The 2nd Issue flash was authorised on 18 October 1988]

Phillipolis Commando

Piet Retief Commando

Pietermaritzburg Commando
This unit could trace its origins back to a Natal Law for the protection of the colony, namely Law No 19 of 1862 which instructed the establishment of a rifle association. The name of this rifle association was changed during the UDF era to the Pietermaritzburg Commando (Maritzburg Rifles?). By the 1940s, the commando was headquartered at the Pietermaritzburg Drill Hall and was shared by another unit during that era, namely the Natal Carbineers. In 1981, the commando was converted to a regiment as an infantry battalion under the Citizen Force, being renamed as the Natalia Regiment.

Pietersburg Commando

Piketberg Commando
The Piketberg Commando was authorised on 20 November 1975, established at Piketberg under the Group 40 Headquarters at Wingfield, in the Western Province Command. Plans were to amalgamate it with the West Coast Commando on 1 April 1997.

Pongola Commando
Became Regiment Pongola?

Port Elizabeth Commando

Potchefstroom Commando

Potgietersrus Commando
Potgietersrus Commando was probably originally established as Geyser's Commando in Potgietersrus in the northern Transvaal as early as 1914, although members of Potgietersrus have been part of local commandos since at least 1854, one such commando being the Zoutpansberg Commando. This local commando had seen action during the 1914 Rebellion and was known as the Potgietersrus Commando by 1925. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 14 Headquarters as part of the Far North Command and was responsible for local area protection. It was eventually amalgamated with Springbokvlakte Commando but retained its name. It was probably disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Pretoria East Commando
The Pretoria East Commando was established in Pretoria in the Transvaal.

Prieska Commando
The Prieska Commando was established at Prieska on 13 October 1988

Quaggapoort Commando

Queenstown Commando

Randburg Commando

Recife Commando

Reitz Commando

Riversdal Commando
The Riversdal Commando was organised under the Group 4 Headquarters at Oudsthoorn, in the Southern Cape Command. It was probably amalgamated with the Mossel Bay Commando in 1997 as part of the new Langeberg Commando, and was probably disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Roodepoort Commando

Rouxville Commando
The Rouxville Commando was amalgamated with the Zastron Commando in 1977

Rustenburg Commando
Members of Rustenburg Commando served in the Anglo-Boer War at Kimberley, Mafeking (now Mafikeng), Kraaipan, Vaalkrans and Pieters Hill. During the rebellion of 1914/15 the Rustenburg Commando members served on the side of both the government and the rebellion. They also served in German South West Africa. In later years the commando was responsible for hearth and home protection in the area. It received its colours on 20 August 1982 from the former Vice State President, Mr A.L. Schlebusch. Rustenburg Commando laid up their colours in the museum at Infantry School in Oudtshoorn on 31 October 2007.

Sandrivier Commando
The Sandrivier Commando was established at Henneman in the northern Orange Free State. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 24 Headquarters as part of the Free State Command and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Sandton Commando
The Sandton Commando was founded in 1962 as the West Park Commando, one of four English-speaking groups in the Johannesburg area to be formed at that time. It was renamed to Sandton Commando in 1969 with the establishment and naming of the new suburb. Since 1976, members of the Commando have volunteered and served with other operational units to combat terrorism. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Sasol Commando
The SASOL Commando [Afr: Sasol-kommando] was formed from workers from the refinery to protect the installations of the South African Coal Oil and Gas Corporation (SASOL) as they were already trained in the safety protocols and how to handle the inherent dangers involved. Members from the Heilbron Commando was used to form the commando on 14 February 1962. Its first permanent HQ was opened in May 1975, and the commando worked closely with Regiment Sasolburg on external threats to the refinery.

Sasolburg Commando
The Sasolburg Commando was originally part of the Heilbron Commando before forming as the Sasolburg Commando in February 1962. While the SASOL Commando was responsible for the SASOL and NATREF refineries, the Sasolburg Commando was responsible for all other factories and installations in the larger district. The Sasolburg Commando was reclassified as a regiment in June 1985,

Schanskop Commando
Schanskop Commando was originally established in Pretoria in 1969, as the Yskor Pretoria Commando, and only renamed to Schanskop Commando in 1988. In 1992 the Quaggapoort Commando was amalgamated with the commando to form the Schanskop Regiment under the same emblem. By 2000 it had been amalgmated with various other regiments, including Regiment Hillcrest, the Munitoria Commando, Regiment Pretorius, and the 2nd Battalion of Regiment Northern Transvaal. In 2002 the amalgamated regiment was finally renamed to Regiment Tswane

Schweizer Reneke Commando

Secunda Commando

Senekal Commando

Sishen Commando

Skiereiland Commando
The Skiereiland Commando (also known as the Peninsula Commando) was organised under the Group 1 Headquarters at Youngsfield, in the Western Province Command, and formed part of the Commando System as a whole, which was a mostly voluntary, part-time force of the South African Army, often deployed in support of and under the authority of the South African Police. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Smithfield Commando

Somerset East Commando
The Somerset East Commando was established in Somerset East in the Eastern Province Command under the Group 7 Headquarters

South Coast Commando
Located in Warner Beach, the South Coast Commando was amalgemated with Durban South Commando and disbanded in 1994

South West Karoo Commando
The South West Karoo Commando (or Southwest Karoo Commando) was organised under the Group 5 Headquarters in the Southern Cape Command

Soutpansberg Commando

Springbok Commando

Springs Commando

Standerton Commando
Blesbokspruit (Standerton) Commando

Stellaland Commando
The Stellaland Commando was mobilised at Vryburg in 1899. In 1913, Rifle associations were combined to form a commando. Incorporated into the SADF in 1957, it was tasked with rear area defence in 1961. During the Bush war in SWA, it combined forces with the Kalahari, Bloemhof, Christiana, Schweizer-Reneke and De Ka Reyville Commandos to form a company of volunteers that were deployed to the Ovamboland region.

Stellenbosch Commando
The Stellenbosch Commando [Afr: Stellenbosch Kommando] can trace its origins as far back as 1870 when Commandant Frederick Potgieter assembled a commando without orders to recapture the cattle carried of by the Xhosas that had crossed the Fish River. During the SADF-period the commando was organised under the Group 2 Headquarters as part of the Western Province Command and was responsible for internal security and local area protection. It was eventually disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Stormberg Commando
Originally established at Burgersdorp as Burgersdorp Commando, it was renamed to Stormberg Commando and Authorised on 23 October 1972

Swartland Commando
The Swartland Commando was established in Malmesbury in the Western Province, and was based in the old Police Station, corner of Voortrekker and Truter Streets between 1979 and 1991. It was organised under the Group 40 Headquarters at Wingfield, in the Western Province Command

Swellendam Commando
Swellendam Commando can trace its origins back to around 1795 with the Republic of Swellendam and the unsafe situation for farmers on its eastern border with Xhosa tribes. An independent republic had been declared from the Dutch East India Company, declared with a National Assembly and Hermanus Steyn as president. It was a momentous event, but at the same time the British occupied the Cape and the new republic was called on to assist in battle. The republicans refused initially, but a commando of 70 soon left for the Cape. By 1806 with the Second British Occupation, at the Battle of Blaauwberg (6 January 1806), the Swellendam Commando again held the British off long enough for the rest of the Batavian army to retreat to safety. During the SADF-period the Swellendam Commando was organised under the Group 2 Headquarters in the Western Province Command. It was disbanded on 31 March 2008 after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Thabazimbi Commando

Theunissen Commando

Tugela Commando
Tugela Commando was established in Eshowe, Natal in 1964. The first location of the HQ was in the Star Theatre, but in 1966 the HQ moved to its present premises, the Old Prison Building in Eshowe. In 1983 the Freedom of the Town of Eshowe was bestowed on Tugela Commando. During the SADF-period it was organised under the Group 27 Headquarters as part of the Natal Command and was responsible for local area protection. It was disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Tygerberg Commando
Later rename to Ntabambini Commando

Uitenhage Commando
The Uitenhage Commando was established at Uitenhage on 29 June 1973 and renamed to De Mist Commando on 7 November 1984

Umgeni Commando
Also know as Umgeni Rifles?

Umkhombe Commando

Umkomaas Commando

Umvoti Commando
Umvoti Commando was created from part of the Zululand Skiet Kommando in 1952 at Greyhtown, Natal. The unit was deployed a number of times on internal operations in the area during the 1980s and 1990s

University Orange Free State Commando
University Orange Free State Commando (or University OFS Commando) was authorised on 19 January 1978 (?) and located at Bloemfontein. Later also known as Regiment Universiteit Oranje Vrystaat

Vaal Commando
The Vaal Commando [Afr: Vaal-kommando] was originally established in 1969 as the second industrial commando in South Africa, on Iscor's premises in Vanderbijlpark, with the name Iscor Vanderbijl Commando [Afr: Yskor-Vanderbijl-kommando]. A new HQ was erected in 1983 on ground adjacent to Iscor. On 1 November 1986, the commando was renamed to Vaal Commando and the emblem changed to the bee, which is a symbol of co-operation, diligence, togetherness, and aggressiveness. The responsibilities of the commando since 1986 was the protection of national keypoints, as well as the communities of Vanderbijlpark including the black townships of Sebokeng, Boipatong, Bophelong, Evaton and the country districts of approximately 1 152 sq kilometres. The unit's National Colour was handed over to the unit on 17 August 1990. The freedom of entry to Vanderbijlpark has been awarded to the unit on 5 November 1990. (Also see Iscor Vanderbijl Commando)

Vaalharts Commando

Van Rhynsdorp Commando
The Van Rhynsdorp Commando was organised under the Group 40 Headquarters at Wingfield, in the Western Province Command

Vanderbijlpark Commando
Vanderbijlpark Commando originated as a shooting commando in 1953 when it divided from the Vereeniging Commando, and was formally militarised in 1961 when all members received their Force Numbers and placed in companies. From 1961 to 1969 the unit was responsible for the security of Vanderbijlpark and ISCOR, the Iron and Steel Corporation of South Africa facilities. The unit conducted its first border duty during 1976 and received a new headquarters on 9 September 1978. It was organised under the Group 17 Headquarters at Vereeniging as part of the Witwatersrand Command and was responsible for local area protection. The unit was officially reclassified a regiment on 31 January 1986, and received the Freedom of Entry to Vanderbijlpark on 20 February 1982.

Ventersdorp Commando

Vereeniging Commando
The Vereeniging Commando [Afr: Vereeniging-kommando] can trace its roots back to the Anglo Boer War as part of the Heidelberg Commando, but was first formed as a separate unit, namely the Vereeniging Skietkommando, in 1921. In 1957 all skietkommandos officially became part of the SADF and it was renamed to Vereeniging Commando, based in Vereeniging, with the first Citizen Force members joining the commando in 1961. The Freedom of the city of Vereeniging was awarded to the unit on 14 February 1976, when 500 members of the commando marched through the streets of the city. The headquarters of the commando was moved to the town centre in 1982 in order to protect the trade centre. It received its Colours on 14 May 1991 at a coordinated colours parade hosted by 1 Construction Regiment. The commando formed part of the Witwatersrand Command, first as part of Group 17 (at the Vereeniging Military Base and later at Lenz), and then as part of Group 18 (at the Doornkop Military Base).

Victoria West Commando
The Victoria West Commando was organised under the Group 5 Headquarters in the Southern Cape Command

Virginia Commando

Volksrust Commando
The Volksrust Commando was established in Volksrust in 1987

Vrede Commando

Wakkerstroom Commando
The Wakkerstroom Commando was to amalgamate with Hopetown Commando on 1 April 1997

Walvis Bay Commando

Warmbad Commando

Waterberg Commando
The Waterberg Commando was renamed from Waterberg South Commando and established in Nylstroom on 1 October 1972

Weenen-Kliprivier Commando
The Weenen Klip River Commando originated from the 1887 Estcourt and Ladysmith Rifle Associations and the later raised Ladysmith Town Guard (1899). It was renamed to Weenen Klip River Commando on 16th December 1948.

Welkom Commando
The Welkom Commando was eatsblished at Welkom, renamed to OFS Goldfields Commando on 30 March 1963, then again renamed back to Welkom Commando on 2 January 1985.

Wemmer Pan Commando
Wemmer Pan Commando [Afr: Wemmerpan-kommando] was established at Wemmerpan, an old gold mine in the southern suburbs of Johannesburg, on the 3rd of July 1962, where it was activated for the first time on 1 March 1963 under the command of Capt E.W. Merzbacher. The commando performed its first border duty in 1976 and laid up its National Colours at the South African National Museum of Military History.on 26 April 1994, and was finally disbanded with the other sommandos between 2003 and 2008.

Wepener Commando

Wesselsbron Commando

West Coast Commando
The West Coast Commando was organised under the Group 40 Headquarters at Wingfield, in the Western Province Command

West Park Commando
The West Park Commando was founded in 1962, one of four English-speaking groups in the Johannesburg area to be formed at that time. It was renamed to Sandton Commando in 1969 with the establishment and naming of the new suburb.

West Rand Commando
Also known as the Wesrand Commando

Winburg Commando

Winterberg Commando
The Winterberg Commando was established at Winterberg in 1972

Witbank Commando

Witrivier Commando
Also known as the White River Commando

Wolmaransstad Commando

Wonderboom Commando

Worcester Commando
Worcester Commando is the second oldest unit in South African Military history. It started as the Worcester Volunteer Rifles on 21 June 1883 and had many changes in name over the years: Western Rifle A (Worcester) Company, Worcester Skiet Kommando until finally Worcester Commando. It took part in both World Wars, was involved in border duty during the Border War and during the internal unrest. The unit's banner was unveiled in 1910, it received the Freedom of Worcester in 1982 and received the National Banner in 1992 [Wim Alberts]

Wynberg Commando
The Wynberg Commando [Afr: Wunberg Kommando] was established in Wynberg, Cape Town, and organised under the Group 1 Headquarters at Youngsfield, as part of the Western Province Command and was responsible for local area protection. It was renamed to Wynberg Battalion [Afr: Wynberg Bataljon], probably around 1989 and was eventually disbanded with the remainder of the commandos after President Mbeki announced the disbanding of the commando system on 14th February 2003.

Yskor-Pretoria Commando
The Yskor-Pretoria Commando was established in Pretoria in 1968 and was renamed to Schanskop Commando in 1988

Zastron Commando
The Zastron Commando was established and amalgamated with the Rouxville Commando at Zastron in 1977

Zeerust Commando
The Zeerust Commando was established at Zeerust on 12 September 1977

 

DUE TO HACKING ATTEMPTS THE FULL FUNCTIONALITY WILL NOW ONLY BE AVAILABLE TO REGISTERED USERS!




Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET

GET YOUR SADF OUMAN STICKER HERE

@ 2007 War In Angola - Veridical Solutions