Register  Login
..::  »    Unit Profiles ::..

 

NOTE: ***** DUE TO NUMEROUS HACKING ATTEMPTS TO EXPLOIT THE FEATURES OF THIS PAGE, THE FULL FUNCTIONALITY WILL NOW ONLY BE AVAILABLE TO REGISTERED USERS! *****

 
South African Forces
South African Forces
 

Welcome to the South African Unit Profiles.

You can find over 1000 South African units and formations (and some subunits) on here by using the Search text box or drilling in by Service and then Corps.

Wherever possible I have included a Unit Flash and a very short history or description. I would like to invite you, the members of the portal, to help build up a comprehensive and complete unit list, each with its relevant profile.

Registered Users will be able to post stories and upload photos to each unit, while Unregistered Users will only be able to view the information.

The concept here is also to allow Registered Users, or Members, to link themselves to units by the year that they served in, and optionally supply further information, like location, subunit, rank. This will allow others that served in that same unit, in that same year to find the member and invite him as a Buddy! Buddies will be able to establish communications with each other and build up that old camaraderie again.

This is still very much a Work-In-Progress that has already taken me the best part of 10 years work! Even so, I would appreciate your critical and positive feedback and I am sure everyone else would appreciate your participation most of all!

I have already integrated much of the Facebook functionality so that you could 'Comment' and 'Like' using your Facebook account, even without Registering or logging in. Soon I will hopefully be able to fully integrate the War In Angola users with their Facebook accounts.

To get started, have a look at how I have done 4 Artillery Regiment...

PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY REGISTERED USERS CAN SEARCH FOR A UNIT BY NAME OR PARTIAL NAME!

Enjoy...

There are currently 55 Unit(s) in this selection..... RESET LIST

3. Select Unit

Brief Description

1 Construction Engineer Regiment
1 Construction Regiment was established in 1957 as the Mobile Battalion, which in 1959 became the Mobile Watch. In 1964 it eventually became 1 Composite Construction Regiment and in 1967 the 1 Construction Regiment. It was disbanded in 1968, but re-established at the end of 1976 at Marievale near Springs. After 1977, it confined its activities to the operational area of South West Africa.

1 Engineer Regiment
1 Engineer Squadron [Afr: 1 Genie-eskadron] was approved as an element of the Permanent Force on 1 August 1975, but only really established on 1 July 1976, when the first 40 national servicemen were transferred to the unit from 2 Field Engineer Squadron. Despite the unit's initial PF-status, it has been manned almost exclusively by members of the Citizen Force since its inception. The first Permanent Force Officer Commanding was appointed in January 1991, and the first Permanent Force RSM was appointed in March 1991. This probably coincided with the unit's upgrade to regimental status when it became 1 Engineer Regiment [Afr: 1 Genieregiment] (hence the OC now being a Commandant)

1 Engineer Squadron
1 Engineer Squadron [Afr: 1 Genie-eskadron] was approved as an element of the Permanent Force on 1 August 1975, but only really established on 1 July 1976, when the first 40 national servicemen were transferred to the unit from 2 Field Engineer Squadron. Despite the unit's initial PF-status, it has been manned almost exclusively by members of the Citizen Force since its inception. The first Permanent Force Officer Commanding was appointed in January 1991, and the first Permanent Force RSM was appointed in March 1991. This probably coincided with the unit's upgrade to regimental status when it became 1 Engineer Regiment [Afr: 1 Genieregiment] (hence the OC now being a Commandant)

1 Military Printing Regiment
1 Military Printing Regiment was established in 1975 with a mandate to deliver mapping to soldiers and was responsible for the printing of the maps.1 Military Printing Regiment was relocated from Koedoespoort in 1994.It was finally amalgamated with 47 Survey Squadron after 1994 to form the Engineer Terrain Intelligence Regiment which formed part of the SA Army Engineer Formation of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF). The new unit is based in Pretoria, Gauteng, and is responsible for providing the cartography needs of the South African Army.

1 Publication & Map Unit

2 Field Engineer Regiment
2 Field Engineer Regiment was formed in 1946 and disbanded in 1958 until, in 1962, the Regular Force was formed with 17 Field Sqn to support this force in Potchefstroom. Moved to Bethlehem in 1967 to become a training unit, it became the new 2 Field Engineer Regt in 1974, comprising 21, 22 and 23 Field Sqns as training sqns, and 24 and 25 Field Sqns as support sqns in the operational area of South West Africa.

3 Field Engineer Regiment
3 Field Engineer Regiment was established on 1 Jul 1926 as 1, 2, and 3 Field Companies. 3 Field Company saw service in North Africa and participoated in the Battle of El Alamein. Re-established as 3rd Field Squadron in 1946, and in 1975, together with the 1st and 2nd Field and 8th Field Park Squadrons, it formed part of 2 Field Engineer Regiment. 3 Field Squadron itself saw service as a Citizen Force engineer unit of 71 Motorised Brigade, in 1975, during Operation Savannah, and did regular 3-month border duties up to 1988. It received regimental status in 1980 and national colours in 1991. The new regimental emblem was approved in 1984. In 1992, 3 Field Engineer Regiment became part of 9 SA Division. (* The original 3 Field Squadron flash as depicted was probably never actually worn)

3rd Field Squadron*
3 Field Engineer Regiment was established on 1 Jul 1926 as 1, 2, and 3 Field Companies. 3 Field Company saw service in North Africa and participoated in the Battle of El Alamein. Re-established as 3rd Field Squadron in 1946, and in 1975, together with the 1st and 2nd Field and 8th Field Park Squadrons, it formed part of 2 Field Engineer Regiment. 3 Field Squadron itself saw service as a Citizen Force engineer unit of 71 Motorised Brigade, in 1975, during Operation Savannah, and did regular 3-month border duties up to 1988. It received regimental status in 1980 and national colours in 1991. The new regimental emblem was approved in 1984. In 1992, 3 Field Engineer Regiment became part of 9 SA Division. (* The original 3 Field Squadron flash as depicted was probably never actually worn)

4 Engineer Regiment
4 Engineer Regiment [Afr: 4 Genieregiment] was originally established as 4 Engineer Squadron [Afr: 4 Genie-eskadron], a Permananent Force engineer unit based in Bloemfontein as part of the Orange Free State Command. It was upgraded to a regiment before finally being closed down. No establishment dates are available.

4 Engineer Squadron
4 Engineer Regiment [Afr: 4 Genieregiment] was originally established as 4 Engineer Squadron [Afr: 4 Genie-eskadron], a Permananent Force engineer unit based in Bloemfontein as part of the Orange Free State Command. It was upgraded to a regiment before finally being closed down. No establishment dates are available.

4 Survey and Mapping Regiment
4 Survey and Printing Regiment was formed on 1 January 1967, as a unit for both the Permanent Force and Citizen Force. It was reformed by amalgamation in 1983 of the 3 Survey Squadrons which existed at that time, 46 Survey Squadron, formed at Cape Town in 1959, 45 Survey Squadron, formed at Pietermaritzburg in 1969, and 47 Survey Squadron, a PF unit formed in 1975. This Unit trained all the National Servicemen posted to it and in turn fed the two CF Survey Units which had been established. By 1992, 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment comprised of the Geographical Information Squadron, the Terrain Negotiability Squadron (degraded to a Troop status in 1994), the Mapping Squadron, as well as 45 Survey Squadron, 46 Survey Squadron and 47 Survey Squadron. Another unofficial squadron, 49 Survey Squadron, was seemingly unofficially established in 1995, but it just comprised of the reserve force component of 47 Survey Squadron.

5 Engineer Regiment

6 Field Engineer Regiment
6 Field Engineer Regiment [Afr: 6 Veldgenieregiment] was originally established as 6 Field Engineer Squadron [Afr: 6 Veldgenie-eskadron], a Citizen Force unit based in Kroonstad as part of the Orange Free State Command. It was upgraded to a regiment before finally being closed down. No establishment dates are available.

6 Field Engineer Squadron
6 Field Engineer Regiment [Afr: 6 Veldgenieregiment] was originally established as 6 Field Engineer Squadron [Afr: 6 Veldgenie-eskadron], a Citizen Force unit based in Kroonstad as part of the Orange Free State Command. It was upgraded to a regiment before finally being closed down. No establishment dates are available.

7 Engineer Regiment
7 Engineer Regiment - See N Cape Command Engineer Regiment

8 Engineer Regiment
8 Engineer Regiment was originally restablished in Cape Town as 8 Field Engineer Squadron

9 Engineer Regiment
9 Engineer Regiment was established in 1976 as 9 Engineer Squadron (and not 9 Field Squadron) as part of the Coin units of Northwest Command at Potchefstroom. Most of the sappers were drawn from 13 Field Squadron in Welkom. The unit had various tasks within the command area before some of the troops were send to the operational area. It later became 9 Engineer Regiment

9 Engineer Squadron
9 Engineer Squadron (not 9 Field Squadron) was established in 1976 as part of the Coin units of Northwest Command at Potchefstroom. Most of the sappers were drawn from 13 Field Squadron in Welkom. The unit had various tasks within the command area before some of the troops were send to the operational area. It later became 9 Engineer Regiment

10 Engineer Regiment
10 Engineer Regiment was established on 1 August 1975 as 10 Engineer Squadron, and changed to 10 Engineers Regiment on 8 December 1988. The Unit emblem was approved on 2 July 1978 and it received its National Colours on 31 May 1990. The Unit flag was approved on 10 May 1991. On 30 November 1990 the unit was amalgamated with 15 Engineer Regiment (as part of Project 2000). On December 2002, it became C Squadron of 1 Construction Regt, to be finally closed down and relocated to Military Base Dunnottar in December 2004

11 Field Engineer Regiment

12 Field Engineer Regiment
12 Field Engineer Regiment (also known as 12 Engineer Regiment) [Afr: 12 Veldgenieregiment] was originally established as an Active Citizen Force unit in 1939 and saw service in East Africa, Syria and Egypt during the Second World War. It remained a unit of the ACF after the war until its disbandment in 1959. The present unit was established as a Citizen Force unit, 12 Field Squadron SAEC [Afr: 12 Veldgenie-eskadron] on 22 August 1961. The unit became a founding member of 72 Motorised Brigade in August 1974, and has seen active service on the SWA border, first in 1976, and then again in 1979. During Exercise Kwiksilver in 1978, the unit earned the distinction of having built the longest Bailey Bridge in South Africa since the Second World War. By 1988 it had been upgraded to a regiment and from 1 November 1991 it was placed under command of the Army Battle School to provide engineer support to the new formation, and from 1992, also the Rapid Deployment Force.

13 Field Engineer Squadron
13 Field Engineer Squadron formed part of 82 Mechanised Brigade and played a major role in the lifting- and laying- of minefields during Operation Packer at Cuito Cuanavale in Angola in March/April 1988.

14 Field Engineer Regiment
Also know as the Eastern Transvaal Command Engineer Regiment

14 Field Squadron

15 Field Engineer Regiment
15 Field Engineer Regiment [Afr: 15 Veldgenieregiment] started as a field squadron when it first became part of 81 Armoured Brigade in 1975, and attained proper regiment-status on 25 January 1983. It remained part of the brigade until 1991. In July 1988, it was mobilsed as part of part of 81 Armoured Brigade and the ad hoc- 10 SA Division, formed to counter the Cuban threat on the SWA-border

17 Field Squadron
17 Field Squadron [Afr: 17 Genieveldeskadron] was established as a military engineer unit at Potchefstroom, in January 1962, to help with the training of hundreds of National Servicemen every year. In 1963 the unit help build the firing range at Walvis Bay; in 1965 it asssisted with the construction of a test firing tunnel at Potchefstroom; in 1966 it built hangars at the military bases in Potchefstroom and Bloemfontein; in 1967 it constructed another firing tunnel at Pretoria, as well as a concrete bridge across the Olifants River, at Middelburg in the Tranvaal. The unit was relocated to Bethlehem in November 1967 and received the freedom of the city of Bethlehem on 31 Oct 1970. During 1970, the unit constructed a large concrete bridge of 196m over the Pongola River, a 327m long train-bridge across the Orange River at Bethulie; an emergency Bailey-bridge over the flooded Nahoon River-bridge, near East-London. In 1973 17 Field Engineer Squadron became the new 2 Field Engineer Regiment, located at Bethlehem.

18 Field Engineer Regiment
18 Field Engineer Squadron [Afr: 18 Veldgenie-eskadron] was established as a Citizen Force unit from elements taken from 11 and 12 Field Engineer Squadrons on 1 December 1969. 18 Field obtained the Freedom of Entry to De Aar in 1977. 18 Field did its first border-camp in Owambo from April to June 1978, and at least one border-camp every year up to 1989, with the exception of 1981, 1983, 1985 and 1987. 1978 was a highlight, when the headquarters was based at Katima-Mulilo in the Eastern Caprivi for three months. During Exercise Ditsem at Army Battle School in 1981, the unit was chosen as the best engineer-element to have received training at Lohathla up to that stage. It was upgraded to a regiment in 1986 when it became 18 Field Engineer Regiment [Afr: 18 Veldgenieregiment]

18 Field Engineer Squadron*
18 Field Engineer Squadron [Afr: 18 Veldgenie-eskadron] was established as a Citizen Force unit from elements taken from 11 and 12 Field Engineer Squadrons on 1 December 1969. 18 Field obtained the Freedom of Entry to De Aar in 1977. 18 Field did its first border-camp in Owambo from April to June 1978, and at least one border-camp every year up to 1989, with the exception of 1981, 1983, 1985 and 1987. 1978 was a highlight, when the headquarters was based at Katima-Mulilo in the Eastern Caprivi for three months. During Exercise Ditsem at Army Battle School in 1981, the unit was chosen as the best engineer-element to have received training at Lohathla up to that stage. It was upgraded to a regiment in 1986 when it became 18 Field Engineer Regiment [Afr: 18 Veldgenieregiment]

19 Field Engineer Regiment
19 Field Engineer Regiment was established as 19 Field Squadron in Durban on 1 Dec 1970, directly under the Natal Command and was the first engineer squadron to be formed in Durban since World War 2. The unit is based in Durban with the HQ being at Old Fort Military Base, Lords Ground. The Field Squadron was upgraded to Regimental status in the late 1980s. Members of the squadron and the subsequent regiment were called up for a number of border duty camps during the 1970's and 1980's. During the 1994 election, the regiment was called up and deployed in the Eshowe area under command of Durban Light Infantry. The regiment was part of 84 Motorised Brigade

19 Field Squadron
19 Field Engineer Regiment was established as 19 Field Squadron in Durban on 1 Dec 1970, directly under the Natal Command and was the first engineer squadron to be formed in Durban since World War 2. The unit is based in Durban with the HQ being at Old Fort Military Base, Lords Ground. The Field Squadron was upgraded to Regimental status in the late 1980s. Members of the squadron and the subsequent regiment were called up for a number of border duty camps during the 1970's and 1980's. During the 1994 election, the regiment was called up and deployed in the Eshowe area under command of Durban Light Infantry. The regiment was part of 84 Motorised Brigade

20 Engineer Regiment

21 Field Squadron, 2 Field Engineer Regiment
21 Field Squadron formed part of 2 Field Engineer Regiment and was located near the dam just outside Bethlehem.

22 Field Squadron, 2 Field Engineer Regiment
22 Field Squadron formed part of 2 Field Engineer Regiment and was located in the mountains outside Bethlehem.

23 Field Squadron, 2 Field Engineer Regiment
23 Field Squadron formed part of 2 Field Engineer Regiment and was located inside the town of Bethlehem itself. Engineers with medical conditions were posted here.

24 Field Squadron, 2 Field Engineer Regiment
24 Field Squadron formed part of 2 Field Engineer Regiment but was located at Rundu in the Operational Area under the command of Sector 20 Headquarters

25 Field Squadron, 2 Field Engineer Regiment
25 Field Squadron formed part of 2 Field Engineer Regiment but was located at Oshakati in the Operational Area under the command of Sector 10 Headquarters

35 Engineer Support Regiment
35 Engineer Support Regiment [Afr: 35 Geniesteun-regiment] was originally established at Kroonstad as 35 Field Park Squadron [Afr: 35 Veldparkeskadron] and in 1974 became 35 Engineer Support Unit [Afr: 35 Geniesteun-eenheid]. It was later moved to Marievale near Springs where it was renamed to 35 Engineer Support Regiment [Afr: 35 Geniesteun-regiment] and the '35' on the flash was replaced by the bee.

35 Field Park Squadron
35 Engineer Support Regiment [Afr: 35 Geniesteun-regiment] was originally established at Kroonstad as 35 Field Park Squadron [Afr: 35 Veldparkeskadron] and in 1974 became 35 Engineer Support Unit [Afr: 35 Geniesteun-eenheid]. It was later moved to Marievale near Springs where it was renamed to 35 Engineer Support Regiment [Afr: 35 Geniesteun-regiment] and the '35' on the flash was replaced by the bee.

38 Engineer Support Unit

39 Engineer Support Unit
Became SWA Engineer Support unit

44 Parachute Engineer Regiment
44 Engineering Regiment was inaugurated as 44 Field Engineer Squadron on 20 April 1978, during the formation of 44 Parachute Brigade. The unit upgraded to an Engineer Regiment in 1990. Members took part in a number of operations: Reindeer (1978), Boulder (1979/80), Protea, Mispel, Daisy (1981), Fakkel, Meebos, Snoek, Gepetto (1982/83), Super (1982), Askari (1983/84), Moduler, Hooper, Packer (1987/88)

45 Survey Squadron
Originally established as 45 Survey Company in 1942, 45 Survey Squadron SAEC (CF) was re-established as a unit of the SA Army on 1 July 1969, with its headquarters in Pietermaritzburg The Squadron updated, from a military point of view, the 1:50 000 topographical maps of South Africa and Namibia, and the 1:10 000 orthophoto series in KwaZulu Natal. In 1992 the SADF commenced restructuring and the two citizen force squadrons, 45 and 46 Survey Squadrons, now commemorating their 50th anniversaries, were brought under command of 47 Survey Squadron, only to be amalgamated on 2 June 1992 into 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment

45 Survey Squadron SAEC (CF)
Originally established as 45 Survey Company in 1942, 45 Survey Squadron SAEC (CF) was re-established as a unit of the SA Army on 1 July 1969, with its headquarters in Pietermaritzburg The Squadron updated, from a military point of view, the 1:50 000 topographical maps of South Africa and Namibia, and the 1:10 000 orthophoto series in KwaZulu Natal. In 1992 the SADF commenced restructuring and the two citizen force squadrons, 45 and 46 Survey Squadrons, now commemorating their 50th anniversaries, were brought under command of 47 Survey Squadron, only to be amalgamated on 2 June 1992 into 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment

46 Survey Squadron
Originally established as 46 Survey Company in 1942, the unit was renamed 46 Survey Squadron, SAEC on 1 January 1954 and again on 31 January 1959 when it became 46 Survey Squadron. The squadron carried out extensive mapping tasks for both military and civilian purposes in the Transvaal and South West Africa. 46 Survey Squadron SAEC (CF) was re-established as a unit of the SA Army on 1 July 1969, with its headquarters in Pietermaritzburg In 1992 the SADF commenced restructuring and the two citizen force squadrons, 45 and 46 Survey Squadrons, now commemorating their 50th anniversaries, were brought under command of 47 Survey Squadron, only to be amalgamated on 2 June 1992 into 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment. (* The flash-approval process seems to have stopped in 1985 and the depicted flash is therefore unconfirmed. It is not clear if any flash was used)

46 Survey Squadron*
Originally established as 46 Survey Company in 1942, the unit was renamed 46 Survey Squadron, SAEC on 1 January 1954 and again on 31 January 1959 when it became 46 Survey Squadron. The squadron carried out extensive mapping tasks for both military and civilian purposes in the Transvaal and South West Africa. 46 Survey Squadron SAEC (CF) was re-established as a unit of the SA Army on 1 July 1969, with its headquarters in Pietermaritzburg In 1992 the SADF commenced restructuring and the two citizen force squadrons, 45 and 46 Survey Squadrons, now commemorating their 50th anniversaries, were brought under command of 47 Survey Squadron, only to be amalgamated on 2 June 1992 into 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment. (* The flash-approval process seems to have stopped in 1985 and the depicted flash is therefore unconfirmed. It is not clear if any flash was used)

47 Survey Squadron
After a decision to separate the SAEC's surveys and mapping responsibilities from the Quartermaster General's printing function, 47 Survey Squadron under Major F.H. du Preez, was formed on 1 April 1975. The need for military survey and mapping of the SA Army at that time was to be satisfied by this Squadron. According to Orpen & Martin a Permanent Force nucleus was thus provided for a vital Sapper task which could become even more essential if the continuing "low intensity" conflict along the border should ever worsen. In 1992 the SADF commenced restructuring and the two citizen force squadrons, 45 and 46 Survey Squadrons were brought under command of 47 Survey Squadron, only to be amalgamated on 2 June 1992 into 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment.

47 Survey Squadron
After a decision to separate the SAEC's surveys and mapping responsibilities from the Quartermaster General's printing function, 47 Survey Squadron under Major F.H. du Preez, was formed on 1 April 1975. The need for military survey and mapping of the SA Army at that time was to be satisfied by this Squadron. According to Orpen & Martin a Permanent Force nucleus was thus provided for a vital Sapper task which could become even more essential if the continuing "low intensity" conflict along the border should ever worsen. In 1992 the SADF commenced restructuring and the two citizen force squadrons, 45 and 46 Survey Squadrons were brought under command of 47 Survey Squadron, only to be amalgamated on 2 June 1992 into 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment.

48 Printing Squadron

Directorate of Engineers / SA Army Engineer Formation
The Directorate of Engineers was established at Kroonstad in 1969, but in 1972 it was moved to SA Army Headquarters, Pretoria where it was developed further. In 1982, the SA Army Engineer Formation was created with the Directorate of Engineers as its Headquarters and commanded by the Director of Engineers which gave the Directorate operational control over most of its Engineer Units.

Gauteng Command Engineer Regiment

Northern Cape Command Engineers

School of Engineers
The School of Engineers started in 1946 when an Engineer Training Wing was established at what was then the Military College, now the Army College. In 1948 the Wing was moved to Potch-efstroom, where it became the Engineer Wing of the Artillery and Armour School. In 1968 it was transferred to Kroonstad as the Engineer Training Centre and finally in 1969 became the School of Engineers.

SWA Engineer Support Unit
The South West Africa Engineer Support Unit [Afr: Suidwes-Afrika Genie Steun Eenheid] was a Permanent Force unit formed at Grootfontein in 1975 (Originally 39 Engineer Support Unit)

Witwatersrand Command Engineer Regiment
The Witwatersrand Command Engineer Regiment [Afr: Kommandement Witwatersrand Genireregiment] was established in Johannesburg during September 1991, with the amalgamation of 5 Engineer Squadron and 18 Field Engineer Regiment. 5 Engineer Squadron was a continuation of the original "5th Field Company" which had played such a major role in the successes of the South African Engineers during World War 2. With the advent of Operation Savannah in 1976, it was decided to reinforce the Territorial Commands with their own engineering capabilities, and 5 Engineer Squadron was activated to fulfill this role within the Witwatersrand Command. 18 Field Engineer Regiment, on the other hand, was a conventional regiment that had formed part of 73 Motorised Brigade up to its amalgamation with 5 Engineer Squadron. The Witwatersrand Command Engineer Regiment has a rich history because of its mother-units, and strives to become the best engineer regiment in South Africa.




Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET

GET YOUR SADF OUMAN STICKER HERE

@ 2007 War In Angola - Veridical Solutions