Register  Login
..::  »    Unit Profiles » Unit Profiles ::..

South African Armed Forces

There are currently 42 Unit(s) in this selection..... RESET LIST

3. Select Unit

Brief Description

1 Locating Regiment
1 Locating Regiment [Afr: 1 Opsporingsregiment] was established on 1 March 1950 as 1 Locating Battery with its Headquarters at Stellenbosch. It became 1 Opsporingsbattery, a purely Afrikaans-speaking unit, on 1 January 1960, and enlarged to a regiment as 1 Locating Regiment on 1 August 1975. The Headquarters was first situated in the Engineers Building of the Stellenbosch University, but was moved later to Jan Cilliers Street. The right of freedom to the town of Stellenbosch was awarded in 1975 and it received its colours from the then State President, Dr N.J. Diedericks, in 1978. The unit was converted from a locating to a medium gunner role, and was redesignated Regiment Simonsberg on 1 February 1990.

2 Locating Regiment
2 Locating Regiment was the second of three regiments that provided target locating services to the SAA(Fd) and could trace its origins back to its creation at the University of Witwatersrand. By June 1951 a command nucleus could conduct its first training camp in Potchefstroom. By 1966 the unit moved from Auckland Park to Doornkop Military Base. The regiment specialized in the technical search of enemy battery fire by means of delicate and sophisticated measuring equipment, such as radar and meteorology and comprised only of 22 Battery. This battery would have typically comprised of an Intelligence Section, a Meteorological Section, a Radar Troop of three radar sections each with a radar set, a Sound Ranging Troop, a Survey Troop, and an Observation Troop. It was renamed to the Johannesburg Artillery Regiment in 1990 and was finally amalgamated, together with 7 Medium Regiment, into the Transvaal Horse Artillery Regiment.

3 Locating Regiment
3 Locating Regiment [Afr: 3 Opspringsregiment] was converted from the original 3 Locating Battery [Afr: 3 Opsporingsbattery], which had formed part of 4 Field Regiment (also often attached to the School of Artillery), in Potchefstroom. The regiment was the third of three dedicated regiments that provided target locating services to the SAA(Fd). The regiment provided divisional troops but was typically organised to allocate locating batteries to brigades. The battery typically comprised of an Intelligence Section, a Meteorological Section, a Radar Troop of three radar sections each with a radar set, a Sound Ranging Troop, a Survey Troop, and an Observation Troop.

4 Artillery Regiment
4 Artillery Regiment (4 ART) was based at Potchefstroom after World War 2, and became 4 Field Training Regiment in 1953. It was disestablished as a Training Institution in November 1967 and became instead 4 Field Regiment (4 FIELD) responsible for training all National Servicemen allotted to Field and Medium Artillery units of the Citizen Force. Renamed to 4 Artillery Regiment, as part of 10 Artillery Brigade, in 1983. It comprised of a Regt HQ, 41 Battery, 42 Battery, 43 Battery (in Walvis Bay), 1 Medium Battery, 44 Battery and 4 Locating Battery.

7 Medium Regiment
7 Medium Regiment was established as a Citizen Force unit at Benoni in 1960 and comprised of 71 Battery and 72 Battery, using G-2 140mm guns. Both batteries took part in Operation Savannah in 1975/76

10 Artillery Brigade
10 Artillery Brigade was formed at Potchefstroom in 1983 when 4 Field Regiment and 14 Field Regiment were both incorporated as respectively 4 Artillery Regiment and 14 Artillery Regiment. 4 Artillery Regiment was relocated to the old 14 Field Regiment base where the brigade was established. It provided the base and training facilities for NSM gunner training alternating between each regiment on an annual basis.

10 Artillery Brigade Tactical Headquarters*
10 Artillery Brigade Tactical HQ (10 ART HQ) was an ad-hoc artillery formation created in 1988 to support the ad-hoc formation 10 SA Division, which had been formed to counter the Cuban threat in the south-western part of Angola in June 1988. It comprised of a tactical headquarters, 14 Art Regt (comprising of the 14 Artillery Regt HQ, a 155mm G-5 battery from 4 SAI Bn Gp, a 140mm G-2 battery from Cape Field Artillery, a 127mm MRL battery from 32 Bn, a 120mm mortar battery from 4 Art Regt, a meteorological section from 1 Locating Regt, a light workshop troop, and a signals troop), 17 Field Regt (comprising of the 17 Field Regt HQ, a 155mm G-5 battery from 61 Mech Bn Gp, a 140mm G-2 battery from 17 Field Regt, another 140mm G-2 battery from Transvaal Horse Artillery, a 127mm MRL troop from 4 Art Regt, a meteorological section from 2 Locating Regt, a light workshop troop, and a signals troop), and 181 Battery from 18 Light Regt

14 Artillery Regiment
14 Field Regiment (14 FIELD) was re-established in Potchefstroom in 1974, and was a full-time unit responsible for the training of Permanent Force and National Service personnel. It took part in Operation Savannah and provided the first troop of 25-pounders. Involved in most operations of the Border War, it was renamed to 14 Artillery Regiment (14 ART) and organised under 10 Artillery Brigade in 1983. It comprised of a Regt HQ, 141 Battery, 142 Battery, 143 Battery, 2 Medium Battery. 144 Battery, and 32 Locating Battery. 141 Battery was the first airborne artillery battery allocated to 44 Parachute Brigade

14 Field Regiment SAA
14 Field Regiment [Afr: 14 Veldregiment] (the original 14 Field Regiment), was initially formed in Bethlehem in the Orange Free State in 1962 with only one Battery, namely 143 Battery with an intake from Commando Regiments for their basic and individual training on the G1 and G2 guns with additional basic training on smaller weapons such as the 60 and 81mm mortars as well as .50-calibre machine guns. During October 1967, 14 Field Regiment was relocated to Potchefstroom where it was disbanded on 7 November 1967 and its structures incorporated into 4 Field Regiment (which was later renamed to 4 Artillery Regiment). Its operational Battery at Walvis Bay was renamed 43 Battery Walvis Bay. On 13 May 1974 the unit was however reactivated as 14 Field Regiment (later renamed to 14 Artillery Regiment) and located outside Potchefstroom in September 1974.

17 Field Regiment
17 Field Regiment (17 FD) [Afr: 17 Veldregiment] was originally established as a Citizen Force unit (Regiment Universiteit van Pretoria), at Pretoria in 1960, and renamed to 17 Field Regiment in 1974. It formed part of 81 Armoured Brigade from 1975 until 1991

18 Light Regiment
18 Light Regiment (18 LIGHT) is one of the more 'modern' artillery regiments that was created to cope with new warfare requirements. Its official birth date can be pinned down to January 1977 (its official establishment date is actually given as 1 Aug 1975). Its initial intake consisted of the Ops Savannah veterans of 141 Battery of 14 Field Regiment and 41 Battery of 4 Field Regiment. In June 1982, it was incorporated into the newly formed 44 Parachute Brigade based at Murray Hill north of Pretoria. It initially comprised of a Regt HQ, and 181 Battery

19 Rocket Regiment
19 Rocket Regiment [Afr: 19 Vuurpylregiment] was formed as 19 Missile Regiment [Afr: 19 Missielregiment] on 1 January 1979 in Potchefstroom as a Citizen Force regiment. The unit originally resorted under the Artillery School for administrative purposes. By 1983 the regiment was transferred to Eastern Transvaal Command, and then added to 26 Field Artillery Regiment, again for administrative purposes. From 1986, the regiment finally operated independently. For conventional purposes the regiment was affiliated to 7 Infantry Division. 19 Rocket Regiment mainly comprised of 191 Battery, organized as two 4-vehicle troops of the Valkiri 24-tube multiple rocket lauchers based on the Unimog chassis. It was finally amalgamated into the Transvaal State Artillery (TSA) after the Border War.

20 Artillery Brigade*
20 Artillery Brigade (20 ART) was an ad-hoc artillery brigade for Operations Moduler and Hooper, under the command of Sector 20, when 20 Art Regt was upgraded to brigade level in November 1987 to accommodate the addition of a secod G-5 battery (Sierra Bty) as well as a three-gun G-6 troop (Juliet Tp) and a troop of MRLs (India Tp)

20 Artillery Regiment*
20 Artillery Regiment (20 ART) was an ad-hoc artillery regiment under 20 SA Brigade formed from different batteries in June/August 1987 for the specific purpose of supporting Operation Moduler. It initially comprised of a G-5 battery (Quebec Bty) from 4 SAI Bn Gp, an MRL battery (Papa Bty) from 32 Bn and a 120mm mortar battery (Sierra Bty) from 61 Mech Bn Gp. Later a secod G-5 battery (Sierra Bty, as the 120mm mortar battry became Romeo Bty) was added as well as a three-gun G-6 troop (Juliet Tp) and a troop of MRLs (India Tp) and the unit was upgraded to a brigade (20 Artillery Bde)

24 Field Regiment*
24 Field Regiment was established as a Citizen Force unit in Durban in 1976 and started training in 1978. It acted as a counter-insurgency artillery unit to support the Natal Command in its counter-insurgency role. As a composite artillery regiment it comprised of a battery of field guns, a battery of medium mortars, and a locating element with essentially radar. The troops in the unit (as is in the case of all artillery units) are also capable of being used in an infantry role. It has done one tour of duty in the Operational Area. It was eventually amalgamated with Natal Field Artillery. (*Emblem not confirmed)

25 Field Regiment
25 Field Regiment was established in Klerksdorp as a Citizen Force unit originally known as 25 Composite Regiment on 17 May 1977. In 1984 the regiment was converted to a medium regiment and added to the operational control of Far North Command. As a Citizen Force Regiment, its primary function was artillery support and it secondary function as infantry. The regiment was operational in the border area with Zimbabwe in 1980 and in South West Africa in 1983. It was finally amalgamated with Regiment Potchefstroom Potchefstroon Universiteit (RPU) on 23 September 1991

26 Field Regiment / 26 Missile Regiment
26 Field Regiment [Afr: 26 Veldregiment] was originally established in Voortrekkerhoogte as the first Field Artillery Regiment for the Northern Transvaal Command, on 1 July 1976. In 1981 the regiment's headquarters was transferred to Group 15 in Hendrik Potgieter Street in the CBD, but later returned to Voortrekkerhoogte. In 1984 it was placed under the Eastern Transvaal Command as a conventional field regiment, supporting 8 Armoured Division. Some time between 1984 and 1989 the regiment was converted to a muliple rocket launcher regiment and renamed to 26 Missile Regiment [Afr: 26 Vuurpylregiment] in support of 8 Div.

27 Field Regiment*
27 Field Regiment [Afr: 27 Veldregiment] was established on 1 August 1975 with its Headquarters Windhoek. The regiment was incorporated into the South West African Territory Force (SWATF) as 91 Field Regiment when the SWATF was formed in August 1980. The first non-white SWATF gunners were transfered to this regiment towards the end of 1981, after almost a year of training at 43 Battery, Rooikop, and comprised of Namas, Damaras, Hereroes, etc., in fact, each ethnic group in the country was represented, except Owambos, who were at that stage subject to conscription.

Cape Field Artillery
The Cape Field Artillery (CFA) can trace the origins back to 26 Aug 1857. It was first named CFA during the Rebellion in 1914, it has a long history through both world wars. On 1 Jan 1946 it was a Citizen Force unit and was used in the national Emergency of 1960, Operation Savannah in 1976, and terms of service on the SWA border. It comprised of a Regt HQ, the 1st (Amsterdam) Battery, and the 2nd (Imhoff) Battery and it provided a 140mm battery for 10 Artillery Brigade in Aug/Sep 1988 to help counter Cuban forces.

Johannesburg Artillery Regiment
2 Locating Regiment was the second of three regiments that provided target locating services to the SAA(Fd) and could trace its origins back to its creation at the University of Witwatersrand. By June 1951 a command nucleus could conduct its first training camp in Potchefstroom. By 1966 the unit moved from Auckland Park to Doornkop Military Base. The regiment specialized in the technical search of enemy battery fire by means of delicate and sophisticated measuring equipment, such as radar and meteorology and comprised only of 22 Battery. This battery would have typically comprised of an Intelligence Section, a Meteorological Section, a Radar Troop of three radar sections each with a radar set, a Sound Ranging Troop, a Survey Troop, and an Observation Troop. It was renamed to the Johannesburg Artillery Regiment in 1990 and was finally amalgamated, together with 7 Medium Regiment, into the Transvaal Horse Artillery Regiment.

Natal Field Artillery
The Natal Field Artillery (NFA) began as the Artillery Company of the Durban Rifle Guard (DRG) in September 1862. Its official establishment date is given as 4 May 1902. In April 1892 the designation of the unit was changed to Natal Field Artillery (NFA). It served in the Anglo Boer War from 1899, and in 1939 it became the Natal Field Artillery Brigade, and then, in 1941, 2 Field Regiment, SAA (NFA). From 1960 to 1968, NFA was affiliated to the University of Natal, and was called the Natal University Regiment (NUR). The name Natal Field Artillery (NFA) was restored in 1966. It did various tours of duty on the SWA/Nambian border. It comprised of a Regt HQ, the 4th (E Force) Battery, and the 5th (Kings Cross) Battery. The flash was proposed for the artillery regiment of 84 Motorised Brigade (which was the role of NFA in the brigade), but as far as it can be established was not approved or worn. The cap badge remained the unit's main identifying emblem.

Natal University Regiment (NUR)
The Natal Field Artillery (NFA) began as the Artillery Company of the Durban Rifle Guard (DRG) in September 1862. Its official establishment date is given as 4 May 1902. In April 1892 the designation of the unit was changed to Natal Field Artillery (NFA). It served in the Anglo Boer War from 1899, and in 1939 it became the Natal Field Artillery Brigade, and then, in 1941, 2 Field Regiment, SAA (NFA). From 1960 to 1968, NFA was affiliated to the University of Natal, and was called the Natal University Regiment (NUR). The name Natal Field Artillery (NFA) was restored in 1966. It did various tours of duty on the SWA/Nambian border. It comprised of a Regt HQ, the 4th (E Force) Battery, and the 5th (Kings Cross) Battery. The flash was proposed for the artillery regiment of 84 Motorised Brigade (which was the role of NFA in the brigade), but as far as it can be established was not approved or worn. The cap badge remained the unit's main identifying emblem.

Regiment Potchefstroomse Universiteit
Regiment Potchefstroomse Universiteit (RPU) was established as a Citizen Force unit in 1960 but only named as such on 1 October 1963 (The official establishment date is given as 1 Aug 1946). The regiment was converted to a medium artillery establishment in 1969 and in 1974 was placed under command of 82 Mechanised Brigade. It was mobilised with the brigade in 1988 for Operations Packer and Displace, the final operation in which the SADF was involved.

Regiment Potchefstroomse Universiteit
Regiment Potchefstroomse Universiteit (RPU) was established as a Citizen Force unit in 1960 but only named as such on 1 October 1963 (The official establishment date is given as 1 Aug 1946). The regiment was converted to a medium artillery establishment in 1969 and in 1974 was placed under command of 82 Mechanised Brigade. It was mobilised with the brigade in 1988 for Operations Packer and Displace, the final operation in which the SADF was involved.

Regiment Simonsberg
1 Locating Regiment [Afr: 1 Opsporingsregiment] was established on 1 March 1950 as 1 Locating Battery with its Headquarters at Stellenbosch. It became 1 Opsporingsbattery, a purely Afrikaans-speaking unit, on 1 January 1960, and enlarged to a regiment as 1 Locating Regiment on 1 August 1975. The Headquarters was first situated in the Engineers Building of the Stellenbosch University, but was moved later to Jan Cilliers Street. The right of freedom to the town of Stellenbosch was awarded in 1975 and it received its colours from the then State President, Dr N.J. Diedericks, in 1978. The unit was converted from a locating to a medium gunner role, and was redesignated Regiment Simonsberg on 1 February 1990.

Regiment Universiteit Oranje-Vrystaat
The University of the Orange Free State Regiment [Officially in Afr: Regiment Universiteit Oranje-Vrystaat] was established in Bloemfontein in January 1960 but on 1 February 1974 it was amalgamated with the 6th Field Regiment, South African Artillery (O.V.S.V.A.), under the new title: 6 Veldregiment (V.S.A.). See the Vrystaatse Artillerie Regiment. Further military activities at the university were from then on done under the auspices of the UOFS Commando.

Regiment Universiteit Pretoria
Regiment Universiteit Pretoria started at the University of Pretoria on 1 May 1950 as an observation and sound measurement battery under a Captain L.J. Le Roux. It was affiliated to the existing 1 Observation Battery and by 1957 this battery was renamed P Battery. When 1 Observation Battery was divided in 1 January 1960, the elements at the university was renamed the Regiment University of Pretoria (SAA). The Regiment was renamed 17 Field Artillery Regiment on 1 February 1974, and this ended its close association with the University of Pretoria.

Regiment University of Witwatersrand
Regiment University of Witwatersrand (RUW) was established as a Citizen Force artillery unit in the late 1950s in order to allow long term students to complete their military training. The Regiment was affiliated with the University only from 1960 to 1968. The regiment was a part time unit and was mobilised in limited amounts for the Border War from 1976 to 1979. In 1981 elements of the regiment provided artillery support for Operation Protea. In 1985 the Regiment was deployed in its secondary role as infantry.

School of Artillery
The School of Artillery became a separate unit on 1 February 1964 and was based in Potchefstroom until it moved to the nearby Klipdrift Military Base in mid-January 1989. It was responsible for the training of the leader element of National Servicemen, Citizen Force officers and NCOs and Permanent Force personnel as well as holding specialized courses for locating and observation.

Transvaal Horse Artillery
The Transvaal Horse Artillery (THA) has a long and hard history starting from its official establishemnt on 17 Mar 1904, seeing action in German SWA in 1914. It was virtually destroyed by the Afrika Korps at Sidi Rezeigh in 1941, reformed and saw action at Gazala, were captured at Tubruk, fought at El Alamein and in the Italian Campaign. In Jan 1976 it was in support of 72 Mot Bde during Operation Budgie, and took part in Operation Protea in 1981. It comprised of a Regt HQ, 7th Battery, 8th Battery, 9th Battery, and 10th Battery.

Transvaalse Staatsartillerie
The Transvaalse Staatsartillerie (TSA) became known as such from 1 January 1960, after having been established as 9 Veldregiment (Staats-artillerie) on 1 Jan 1954. It took part in Operation Savannah in 1976 as a medium regiment of two batteries and a troop. The regiment undertook subsequent tours of duty on the SWA border. From the abbreviation of its title came the humorous appellation 'Tour and See Angola'. 17 Field Regiment was amalgamated with TSA with effect from 1 October 1991, the combined regiment retaining the title Transvaalse Staatsartillerie. The unit was until recently responsible for all gun salutes in Pretoria.

Vrystaatse Artillerie Regiment
The Vrystaatse Artillerie Regiment (VAR) originally started as a battery in 1913, but has the official establisment date of 1 Jul 1926. These batteries were combined as regiments in 1946 and the 1st and 2nd `Oranje Vrystaatse Veldartillerie' were combined under the title `6 Field Regiment, SAA (OVSVA)', based in Bloemfontein. In 1960 it became the `Vrystaatse Staatsartillerie', and in 1966 the `Oranje-Vrystaatse Veldartillerie'. In 1982 it was again known as '6 Veldregiment' (6 Field Regiment). It was renamed to 'Vrystaatse Artillerieregiment' in 1988.




ONLY LOGGED-IN MEMBERS CAN USE THIS FEATURE!

Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET

GET YOUR SADF OUMAN STICKER HERE

@ 2007 War In Angola - Veridical Solutions