Register  Login
..::  »    Unit Profiles » Unit Profiles ::..


All the Forums and User Comments on this site are only viewable by Logged-In Users due to excessive hacking activities! Registered Users are advised to first log in before accessing information on this site as most of the information is now no longer available for Public viewing.

South African Armed Forces

There are currently 132 Unit(s) in this selection..... RESET LIST

3. Select Unit

Brief Description

1 Kavango Battalion
34 Battalion (34 BN) [Afr: 34 Battaljon], or 1 Kavango Battalion [Afr: 1 Kavangobataljon], was founded in 1975 and based at Tunakuru, near Rundu. It was renamed to 34 Battalion (34 BN) [Afr: 34 Bataljon] in 1978..With the creation of SWATF in 1980 it was again renamed. this time to 202 Battalion [Afr: 202 Bataljon].

1 Ovambo Battalion
1 Ovambo Bn [Afr: 1 Ovambo Bataljon] was formed in 1974 as a company-strength battalion and based at Ondangwa. From 1976 it expanded and was renamed to 35 Battalion in 1978. When the SWATF was established on 1 August 1980, the unit became 101 Battalion.

1 Parachute Battalion
1 Parachute Battalion (1 PARA) [Afr: 1 Valskermbataljon] was established on April 1, 1961 as a parachute training battalion, located next to the old Tempe Airfield in Bloemfontein. The unit's first operational mission came in August 1966 when they assisted police in an attack on a People's Liberation Army of Namibia base at Ongulumbashe in western Ovamboland. The unit would be involved in that theatre until the end of the border conflict in 1989. Heliborne fire forces were also used in Ovamboland. In April 1978 the battalion became part of 44 Parachute Brigade. With the eventual disbanding of 44 Parachute Brigade by 1991, the full-time personnel of the brigade were moved back to Bloemfontein and incorporated into what was then known as 1 Parachute Battalion Group.

1 Parachute Battalion
1 Parachute Battalion (1 PARA) [Afr: 1 Valskermbataljon] was established on April 1, 1961 as a parachute training battalion, located next to the old Tempe Airfield in Bloemfontein. The unit's first operational mission came in August 1966 when they assisted police in an attack on a People's Liberation Army of Namibia base at Ongulumbashe in western Ovamboland. The unit would be involved in that theatre until the end of the border conflict in 1989. Heliborne fire forces were also used in Ovamboland. In April 1978 the battalion became part of 44 Parachute Brigade. With the eventual disbanding of 44 Parachute Brigade by 1991, the full-time personnel of the brigade were moved back to Bloemfontein and incorporated into what was then known as 1 Parachute Battalion Group.

1 Regiment de la Rey
Regiment de la Rey (RDLR) was originaly formed at Potchefstroom on 1 Apr 1934. It was renamed to Regiment Wes Transvaal in 1960, after which was changed back to RDLR in 1966. It participated in the Border War, especially during Operation Packer in 1988, where a battalion was part of the 82nd Mechanied Brigade attack on the Tumpo Triangle at Cuito Cuanavale. Regiment De la Rey (RDLR) was named after the "Lion of the West", as General Koos de la Rey was known since the South African War.

1 Regiment Noord-Transvaal
Regiment Noord-Transvaal (RNT) [Eng: Northern Transvaal Regiment] was established in January 1964 (officially given as 1 Jan 1963). By May 1969 the regiment was large enough to form two battalions, 1 RNT and 2 RNT. Originally an armoured unit, but in 1975 the RNT converted to a mechanised infantry regiment. 1 RNT formed part of 81 Armoured Brigade from 1975 until 1991 Its first operational deployment came in 1976 in SWA. It was involved to the end, taking part in Operations Moduler, Hooper and Packer in 1987-8.

1 South African Infantry Battalion
1 South African Infantry Battalion (1 SAI) [Afr: 1 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established as 1 SA Infantry Training Battalion at Oudtshoorn on January 26, 1951. It was reconstituted as 1 SA Infantry Battalion in November 1967 and moved to its current base at Tempe, Bloemfontein, in November 1973. The unit mechanised in 1976 and the unit insignia was changed to the Honey Badger. In 1982 the ostrich feathers which indicated the origin of the unit from the Oudtshoorn-days, was accepted and also used as a beret badge. It remained a training unit in the Orange Free State Command but at one stage was also under the direct command of the Chiet of the Army. The mechanised infantry-balkie was used in the Mechanised Training Wing.

1 South African Infantry Battalion
1 South African Infantry Battalion (1 SAI) [Afr: 1 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established as 1 SA Infantry Training Battalion at Oudtshoorn on January 26, 1951. It was reconstituted as 1 SA Infantry Battalion in November 1967 and moved to its current base at Tempe, Bloemfontein, in November 1973. The unit mechanised in 1976 and the unit insignia was changed to the Honey Badger. In 1982 the ostrich feathers which indicated the origin of the unit from the Oudtshoorn-days, was accepted and also used as a beret badge. It remained a training unit in the Orange Free State Command but at one stage was also under the direct command of the Chiet of the Army. The mechanised infantry-balkie was used in the Mechanised Training Wing.

1 Transvaal Scottish Regiment
The Transvaal Scottish (TS) was formed in Johannesburg on 12 Dec 1902 and is affiliated to the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). From 1913 to 1932 the TS was also known as the 8th Infantry, Active Citizen Force (ACF) and took part in the invasion of German South-West Africa. In World War 2, 3 battalions saw action in Egypt, but 3 TS were disbanded after Sidi Rezeigh. Both the 1st and 2nd Battalions were involved in the Bush War from 1975.

2 Parachute Battalion
2 Parachute Battalion (2 PARA) [Afr: 2 Valskernbataljon] was formed on 1 June 1971 to assimilate the growing number of parachute trained conscripts with further national service obligations. 1 Parachute Battalion was unable to cope with the additional administration, and 2 Para therefore comprised of Civilian Force members. 2 Parachute Battalion had its baptism of fire during Operation Savannah in 1975 and took part in Operation Reindeer in 1978.

2 Regiment de la Rey
Regiment de la Rey (RDLR) was originaly formed at Potchefstroom in 1934. It was renamed to Regiment Wes Transvaal in 1960, after which was changed back to RDLR in 1966. It participated in the Border War, espacially during Operation Packer in 1988, where a battalion was part of the 82nd Mechanied Brigade attack on the Tumpo Triangle at Cuito Cuanavale..Regiment De la Rey (RDLR) was named after the "Lion of the West", as General Koos de la Rey was known since the South African War. The Second Battalion of Regiment De la Rey (2 RDLR) (depicted here), was established on 1 September 1970 as a motorised infantry battalion under the gemeral command of the North West Command in Potchefstroom. During the later part of 1989, the battalion deployed to the Kruger National Park during Operation Pebble.

2 Regiment Noord-Transvaal
Regiment Noord-Transvaal (RNT) [Eng: Northern Transvaal Regiment] was established in January 1964 (officially given as 1 Jan 1963). By May 1969 the regiment was large enough to form two battalions, 1 RNT and 2 RNT. Originally an armoured unit, but in 1975 the RNT converted to a mechanised infantry regiment and 2 RNT became part of 73 Motorised Brigade.

2 South African Infantry Battalion Group
2 South African Infantry Battalion Group (2 SAI) [Afr: 2 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljongroep] was a composite battalion established at Walvis Bay in 1962. From 1973 it also had an artillery battery (43 Bty) and an armoured car squadron (D Sqn), both of which were attached permanently and located at Rooikop. 2 SAI was involved in incursions into Angola right from the start as part of Operation Savannah in 1975. The unit was awarded its colours by the local municipality in 1969, and adopted the town's motto and flamingo emblem. The freedom of Walvis Bay was granted to 2 SAI on 30th August 1974. 2 SAI was demobilised at the end of the Border War (1989), but was later reactivated at Pomfret, in the Northern Cape, on 1 July 1993, from the the remnants of 32 Battalion, the "Buffalo soldiers". By 1998, as part of the SANDF, the unit was transferred to North West Command as a motorised infantry unit and based in Zeerust.

2 South African Infantry Battalion Group
2 South African Infantry Battalion Group (2 SAI) [Afr: 2 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljongroep] was a composite battalion established at Walvis Bay in 1962. From 1973 it also had an artillery battery (43 Bty) and an armoured car squadron (D Sqn), both of which were attached permanently and located at Rooikop. 2 SAI was involved in incursions into Angola right from the start as part of Operation Savannah in 1975. The unit was awarded its colours by the local municipality in 1969, and adopted the town's motto and flamingo emblem. The freedom of Walvis Bay was granted to 2 SAI on 30th August 1974. 2 SAI was demobilised at the end of the Border War (1989), but was later reactivated at Pomfret, in the Northern Cape, on 1 July 1993, from the the remnants of 32 Battalion, the "Buffalo soldiers". By 1998, as part of the SANDF, the unit was transferred to North West Command as a motorised infantry unit and based in Zeerust.

2 Transvaal Scottish Regiment
The Transvaal Scottish (TS) was formed in Johannesburg on 12 Dec 1902 and is affiliated to the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). From 1913 to 1932 the TS was also known as the 8th Infantry, Active Citizen Force (ACF) and took part in the invasion of German South-West Africa. In World War 2, 3 battalions saw action in Egypt, but 3 TS were disbanded after Sidi Rezeigh. Earlier in 1953 the 1st and the 2nd battalions had been amalgamated but in 1971 the 2nd Battalion Transvaal Scottish was once again revived. Both the 1st and 2nd Battalions were involved in the Bush War from 1975. In 1976 the 2nd Battalion deployed to the Caprivi area of SWA. During the mid-1980s the 2nd Battalion became the first Citizen Force unit to deploy on the northern Transvaal borders with Botswana and Zimbabwe. During 1997 as a result of the rationalisation measures within the South African National Defence Force the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Regiment were once more amalgamated.

3 Parachute Battalion
3 Parachute Battalion (3 PARA) [Afr: 3 Valskembataljon] was formed in July 1977 (the official establishment date is given as 1 Aug 1975) to assimilate the growing number of parachute trained conscripts with further national service obligations. 1 Parachute Battalion was unable to cope with the additional administration, and 2 and 3 Para therefore comprised of Civilian Force members. 3 Para participated in Operation Reindeer in 1978 and formed part of the newly formed 44 Parachute Brigade in 1978.

3 South African Infantry Battalion
3 SA Infantry Battalion's (3 SAI) [Afr: 3 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] inception was on 01 January 1962 at Lenz. It was moved to Potchefstroom on 05 December 1968 to train Citizen Force Members (National Service) as infantry soldiers. The unit was given operational status with two infantry battalions organized under the command of one Commanding Officer. During 1970, 3 SA Infantry Battalion was transformed into a force-in-being. It was moved to Kimberley in 1988

3 South African Infantry Battalion
3 SA Infantry Battalion's (3 SAI) [Afr: 3 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] inception was on 01 January 1962 at Lenz. It was moved to Potchefstroom on 05 December 1968 to train Citizen Force Members (National Service) as infantry soldiers. The unit was given operational status with two infantry battalions organized under the command of one Commanding Officer. During 1970, 3 SA Infantry Battalion was transformed into a force-in-being. It was moved to Kimberley in 1988

4 Parachute Battalion
In 1982 approval was obtained, in principle, for the establishment of 4 Parachute Battalion [Afr: 4 Valskembataljon] as part of 44 Parachute Brigade. No further information.

4 South African Infantry Battalion
4 South African Infantry Battalion (4 SAI) [Afr: 4 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was a unit of the South African Infantry Corps established on January 1, 1962, at Voortrekkerhoogte in Pretoria, but was moved to Middelburg, in the old Transvaal a month later. The first troops began training in April 1962 and the unit became an operational motorised unit in 1969. 4 SAI converted to a mechanised infantry battalion mainly consisting of Ratel-20 IFVs in 1982. The unit was deployed as a mixed force comprising of two companies of mechanised infantry, an artillery battery, and an armoured car squadron, with support company and attached elements, and later even a tank squadron was attached. It was very siccessfully deployed as an independent battle group (62 Mechanised Infantry Battalion Group) during the Operations Moduler, Hooper and Displace and Prone battles of 1987/88. 4 SAI reverted to a motorised infantry unit after 1994.

5 South African Infantry Battalion
5 SA Infantry Battalion (5 SAI) [Afr: 5 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established at Ladysmith, KwaZulu-Natal, on January 1, 1962, becoming operational on April 1, 1962. In 1963 the unit provided assistance to the Michael Caine movie 'Zulu' and in 1968 they assisted moviemakers in filming 'Amajuba'. In 1975 the unit partook in Operation Savannah and in the early 1980s helped establish a base at Eenhana in northern South West Africa.

5 South African Infantry Training Unit
5 SA Infantry Battalion (5 SAI) [Afr: 5 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established at Ladysmith, KwaZulu-Natal, on January 1, 1962, becoming operational on April 1, 1962. In 1963 the unit provided assistance to the Michael Caine movie 'Zulu' and in 1968 they assisted moviemakers in filming 'Amajuba'. In 1975 the unit partook in Operation Savannah and in the early 1980s helped establish a base at Eenhana in northern South West Africa.

6 South African Infantry Battalion
6 SA Infantry Battalion (6 SAI) [Afr: 6 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established at Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape, on January 1, 1962. The unit was established at the time to train whites conscripted for military service by ballot. The unit detached personnel for operational duty with effect from 1970. Major operations involving 6SAI were Protea and Daisy. In the 1980s the unit was known as 6 SA Infantry Training Unit.

6 South African Infantry Battalion
6 SA Infantry Battalion (6 SAI) [Afr: 6 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established at Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape, on January 1, 1962. The unit was established at the time to train whites conscripted for military service by ballot. The unit detached personnel for operational duty with effect from 1970. Major operations involving 6SAI were Protea and Daisy. In the 1980s the unit was known as 6 SA Infantry Training Unit.

7 South African Infantry Battalion
7 SA Infantry Battalion (7 SAI) [Afr: 7 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established at Bourke's Luck in 1973 as one of two new infantry battalions being established, the other being 8 South African Infantry Battalion. 7 SAI served as a training battalion for National Servicemen who were to be trained as infantry and deployed at various bases in the Operational Area. Not used as an independent unit, it supplied manpower to many cross-border operations. It was relocated to Phalaborwa in December 1979

7 South African Infantry Battalion
7 SA Infantry Battalion (7 SAI) [Afr: 7 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established at Bourke's Luck in 1973 as one of two new infantry battalions being established, the other being 8 South African Infantry Battalion. 7 SAI served as a training battalion for National Servicemen who were to be trained as infantry and deployed at various bases in the Operational Area. Not used as an independent unit, it supplied manpower to many cross-border operations. It was relocated to Phalaborwa in December 1979

8 South African Infantry Battalion
8 South African Infantry Battalion (8 SAI) [Afr: 8 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established in October 1973, at Upington in the Northern Cape, as a training battalion for National Servicemen who were to be trained as motorised infantry and deployed at various bases in the Operational Area. Not used as an independent unit, it supplied manpower to many cross-border operations into Angola. In 1984, it was renamed to 8 South African Infantry Training Unit [Afr: 8 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanterie Opleidingseenheid] but was always referred to as 8 SAI. After the war, 61 Mech was moved to and amalgamated with 8 SAI.

9 South African Infantry Battalion
9 South African Infantry Battalion (9 SAI) [Afr: 9 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was created in 1992 to replace all the SA Cape Corps units, which were disbanded in preparation to the first democratic elections in South Africa in 1994. It was done to eliminate the use of any ethnical or race references in the names of units. The 9 SAI history should be seen in conjunction with that of the SACC, as it is sure to build on its proud historical traditions. Based in Eersterivier, near Cape Town, on the outskirts of Khayalitsha.

10 South African Infantry Battalion
10 SA Infantry Battalion (!0 SAI) [Afr: 10 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established as a motorised infantry battallion, at Mafikeng, on 1 January 1994, when the Bophitatswana Defence Force (BDF) was integrated into the newly formed South African National Defence Force (SANDF). It did not exist as a battalion in the South African Defence Force (SADF) before 1994.

11 South African Infantry Battalion
11 SA Infantry Battalion (11 SAI) [Afr: 11 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was originally established in northern Natal in August 1976 as Jozini Military Base [Afr: Jozini Militêre Basis] to function as the training wing of the Natal Command. On 1 April 1982 the unit's name was changed to Jozini Training Base [Afr: Jozini Opleidingsbasis]. On 4 June 1984 the unit obtained unit status and on 6 October 1992 the name was finally changed to 11 SA Infantry Battalion (11 SAI) [Afr: 11 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebattaljon], operating as a border protection unit responsible for the for the area from about Pongola to Kosi Mouth, including the Makhatini Flats.

12 South African Infantry Battalion
The Equestrian Centre and the Dog Centre were reunited in 1993 as 12 South African Infantry Battalion (12 SAI) [Afr: 12 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] and was based at Potchef-stroom. It provided horse-mounted infantry, motorcyclists and dog handlers to SA Army units for area defence (counterinsurgency) purposes until it was disbanded in 2005

13 South African Infantry Battalion
13 South African Infantry Battalion (13 SAI) [Afr: 13 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] did not exist as a unit as it was amalgamated into 14 SAI in 1994 before it was actually established. If it had been actually formed, it would have been a standard motorised infantry battalion of the Eastern Province Command, based at Umtata.

14 South African Infantry Battalion
14 SA Infantry Battalion (14 SAI) [Afr: 14 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established as a motorised infantry battallion, at Umtata, in the Eastern Cape, on 1 January 1994, when the Transkei Defence Force (TDF) was integrated into the newly formed South African National Defence Force (SANDF). It was never part of the SADF.

15 South African Infantry Battalion
15 Battalion (15 SAI) [Afr: 15 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established in 1994 from the ranks of the former Venda Defence Force. The unit badge reflects its location. It forms part of the South African National Defence Force and was never part of the SADF.

16 South African Infantry Battalion
16 South African Infantry Battalion (16 SAI) [Afr: 16 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] did not exist as a unit and if it had been established in 1996 as planned, it would have formed part of the SANDF. All emblems had been approved by 1996. No further information available.

21 South African Infantry Battalion
21 Battalion (21 Bn) [Afr: 21 Bataljon] was established at Lenz, south of Johannesburg, on the 21st birthday of the SA Infantry Corps in 1975, when its first black recruits were trained. Before 1975 it was known as the Army Bantu Service Corps, then renamed to the SA Support Service Corps in 1976. The government had overcome its racist fear of armed blacks and began training a company of infantry. In 1986 two more companies were established. In 1988, four companies were deployed to northern Namibia and two of these deployed into southern Angola. 21 South African Infantry Battalion [Afr:21 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was only established as a full infantry battalion on 1 January 1991, at Doornkop, Johannesburg. In 1997 the unit was commanded by a colonel and consisted of two operational battalions. By 1999, it had reverted to four infantry companies and a reconnaissance platoon.

31 Battalion
31 Battalion (31 BN) [Afr: 31 Bataljon], or Bushmen Battalion [Afr: Boesmanbataljon], was originally formed as Alpha Group [Afr: Alfagroep] in 1974, then renamed to 31 Battalion after Operation Savannah. In 1980 the unit became 201 Battalion [Afr: 201 Bataljon] as part of the SWATF. After the disbandment of SWATF in 1989, both 201 Battalion and 203 Battalion were merged into a singe battalion, now named 31 South African Infantry Battalion (31 SAI), using this newer emblem, based at Schmidtsdrift, Kimberley, as part of the Northern Cape Command. Sunday, 31 SAI Battalion was disbanded at a public ceremony in the Cape Province, on 7 March 1993.

31 South African Infantry Battalion
31 Battalion (31 BN) [Afr: 31 Bataljon], or Bushmen Battalion [Afr: Boesmanbataljon], was originally formed as Alpha Group [Afr: Alfagroep] in 1974, then renamed to 31 Battalion after Operation Savannah. In 1980 the unit became 201 Battalion [Afr: 201 Bataljon] as part of the SWATF. After the disbandment of SWATF in 1989, both 201 Battalion and 203 Battalion were merged into a singe battalion, now named 31 South African Infantry Battalion (31 SAI), using this newer emblem, based at Schmidtsdrift, Kimberley, as part of the Northern Cape Command. Sunday, 31 SAI Battalion was disbanded at a public ceremony in the Cape Province, on 7 March 1993.

32 Battalion
32 Battalion (32 BN, sometimes nicknamed Buffalo Battalion or Os Terriveis - Portuguese for The Terrible Ones) [Afr: 32 Bataljon] was a special infantry battalion of the SA Army, composed of black and white officers and NCO's. It had been raised in 1975 as Bravo Group, and its troops came from the FNLA, one of the former liberation movements of Angola. Unlike other SADF units, 32 Battalion was mainly deployed in southern Angola, acting as a buffer between the SADF's regular forces and its enemies. Although it was mainly used as a counter-insurgency force it was eventually also used as a semi-conventional force during the later phases of the war. After Namibian independence in 1990, the unit was withdrawn to South Africa where it was used in the counter-insurgency role and later also in the South African townships. The unit was disbanded in March 1993 and retired to the town of Pomfret, South Africa.

32 Battalion
32 Battalion (32 BN, sometimes nicknamed Buffalo Battalion or Os Terriveis - Portuguese for The Terrible Ones) [Afr: 32 Bataljon] was a special infantry battalion of the SA Army, composed of black and white officers and NCO's. It had been raised in 1975 as Bravo Group, and its troops came from the FNLA, one of the former liberation movements of Angola. Unlike other SADF units, 32 Battalion was mainly deployed in southern Angola, acting as a buffer between the SADF's regular forces and its enemies. Although it was mainly used as a counter-insurgency force it was eventually also used as a semi-conventional force during the later phases of the war. After Namibian independence in 1990, the unit was withdrawn to South Africa where it was used in the counter-insurgency role and later also in the South African townships. The unit was disbanded in March 1993 and retired to the town of Pomfret, South Africa.

33 Battalion
33 Battalion (33 BN) [Afr: 33 Battaljon], or Eastern Caprivi Battalion [Afr: Oos-Caprivibataljon], was formed in 1977 and renamed to 701 Battalion [Afr: 701 Bataljon] as part of the SWATF in 1980. It was based in Mpacha, Caprivi, in Sector 70. It took part in operations into Zambia and from 1978 deployed companies into Kavango, Kaokoland and Owambo.

34 Battalion
34 Battalion (34 BN) [Afr: 34 Battaljon], or 1 Kavango Battalion [Afr: 1 Kavangobataljon], was founded in 1975 and based at Tunakuru, near Rundu. It was renamed to 34 Battalion (34 BN) [Afr: 34 Bataljon] in 1978..With the creation of SWATF in 1980 it was again renamed. this time to 202 Battalion [Afr: 202 Bataljon].

35 Battalion
35 Battalion (35 BN) [Afr: 35 Bataljon], or Owamboland Battalion [Afr: Owambolandbataljon], was formed in 1974 as the company-strength 1 Owambo Bn [Afr: 1 Owambobataljon]. From 1976 it expanded and was renamed to 35 Battalion in 1978. When the SWATF was established on 1 August 1980, the unit became 101 Battalion [Afr: 101 Bataljon].

36 Battalion
36 Battalion (36 BN) [Afr: 36 Bataljon].or Bushman Battalion [Afr: Boesmanbataljon], was formed in 1978 in Bushmanland, and renamed 203 Battalion [Afr: 203 Bataljon] in 1980 as part of the SWATF.

37 Battalion
37 Battalion (37 BN), or Kaokaland Battalion, was formed in 1978 as the Kaokoland Company. It was expanded into 37 Battalion in 1979, after a SWAPO incursion in to the area. It was renamed to 102 Battalion as part of the newly formed SWATF.

41 Battalion
41 Battalion (41 BN) [Afr: 41 Bataljon], or Windhoek Battalion, was formed on 11 July 1977 in Sector 40, Windhoek, and renamed to 911 Battalion [Afr: 911 Bataljon] in 1980 as part of 91 Brigade, SWATF. Five bases were established, one per ethnical group: Kamanjab, for the Damaras, on 15 Aug 1977; Otjisondu (Otjikondo?) for the Hereros on 9 Sep 1977; Drimiopsis for the Coloured on 29 Aug 1979; Nauaspoort for the Basters on 29 Aug 1977; and Narubis for the Namas on 8 Aug 1977.

44 Anti-Tank Company
Part of 44 Parachute Brigade

44 Pathfinder Company
44 Pathfinder Company was created In the early 1980s from British, American, and mainly Rhodesian professional soldiers recruited by Col Breytenbach into 44 Parachute Brigade to serve as a new fighting arms within 44 Parachute Brigade. They were at that time humorously referred to as "The Philistines". Their envisaged role was to conduct mobile, fighting patrols deep inside Angola.

51 Battalion
51 Battalion (51 BN) [Afr: 51 Bataljon] was formed as one of a few Modular Battalions in 1976. It was based at Ruacana in SWA with a core of PF officers and NCOs on 2- to 4-year tours, and National Servicemen in their second year of service. Sub-units were attached according to the varying requirements, and that's why it was referred to as `modular'. 51 Battalion's main responsibility was to secure the area around Ruacana.

51 Battalion
51 Battalion (51 BN) [Afr: 51 Bataljon] was formed as one of a few Modular Battalions in 1976. It was based at Ruacana in SWA with a core of PF officers and NCOs on 2- to 4-year tours, and National Servicemen in their second year of service. Sub-units were attached according to the varying requirements, and that's why it was referred to as `modular'. 51 Battalion's main responsibility was to secure the area around Ruacana.

52 Battalion
52 Battalion (52 BN) [Afr: 52 Bataljon] was formed as one of a few Modular Battalions in 1976. It was based at Oshakati in SWA with a core of Permanent Force officers and NCOs on 2- to 4-year tours, and National Servicemen in their second year of service. Sub-units were attached according to the varying requirements, and that's why it was referred to as `modular'. 52 Battalion's main responsibility was to secure the area around Oshakati.

52 Battalion
52 Battalion (52 BN) [Afr: 52 Bataljon] was formed as one of a few Modular Battalions in 1976. It was based at Oshakati in SWA with a core of Permanent Force officers and NCOs on 2- to 4-year tours, and National Servicemen in their second year of service. Sub-units were attached according to the varying requirements, and that's why it was referred to as `modular'. 52 Battalion's main responsibility was to secure the area around Oshakati.

53 Battalion
53 Battalion (53 BN) [Afr: 53 Bataljon] was formed as one of a few Modular Battalions in 1976. It was based at Ondangwa in SWA with a core of Permanent Force officers and NCOs on 2- to 4-year tours, and National Servicemen in their second year of service. Sub-units were attached according to the varying requirements, and that's why it was referred to as `modular'. 53 Battalion's main responsibility was to secure the area around Ondangwa, and had smaller bases at Okatope, Etale, Ogongo, Okalongo, and Oshigambo.

53 Battalion
53 Battalion (53 BN) [Afr: 53 Bataljon] was formed as one of a few Modular Battalions in 1976. It was based at Ondangwa in SWA with a core of Permanent Force officers and NCOs on 2- to 4-year tours, and National Servicemen in their second year of service. Sub-units were attached according to the varying requirements, and that's why it was referred to as `modular'. 53 Battalion's main responsibility was to secure the area around Ondangwa, and had smaller bases at Okatope, Etale, Ogongo, Okalongo, and Oshigambo.

54 Battalion
54 Battalion (54 BN) [Afr: 54 Bataljon] was formed as one of a few Modular Battalions in 1976. It was based at Eenhana in SWA with a core of Permanent Force officers and NCOs on 2- to 4-year tours, and National Servicemen in their second year of service. Sub-units were attached according to the varying requirements, and that's why it was referred to as `modular'. 54 Battalion's main responsibility was to secure the area around Eenhana.

54 Battalion
54 Battalion (54 BN) [Afr: 54 Bataljon] was formed as one of a few Modular Battalions in 1976. It was based at Eenhana in SWA with a core of Permanent Force officers and NCOs on 2- to 4-year tours, and National Servicemen in their second year of service. Sub-units were attached according to the varying requirements, and that's why it was referred to as `modular'. 54 Battalion's main responsibility was to secure the area around Eenhana.

55 Battalion
55 Battalion (55 BN) [Afr: 55 Bataljon] was formed as one of the few Modular SA Battalions in SWA. It was based at Nepara in Sector 20 with a core of PF officers and NCOs on 2- to 4-year tours, and National Servicemen in their second year of service. SWATF Sub-units were attached according to the varying requirements, and that's why it was referred to as `modular'. 55 Bn's main responsibility was to secure the area around Nepara. Originally known as the West Area Battalion [Afr: Wes Gebied Bataljon], the name was only officially changed to 55 Battalion in late 1986. The unit was disbanded in 1989, as per UN Resolution 435. (* As far as I coiuld establish, the West Area Battalion emblem depicted was never worn as a shoulder flash)

61 Mechanised Battalion Group
61 Mechanised Infantry Battalion Group (61 MECH) [Afr: 61 Gemeganiseerde Bataljongroep] was a unit of the South African Infantry Corps. Although it was classed as mechanized infantry, it was a mixed force of infantry, armour and artillery. It was formed in 1978 as Battle Group Juliet (or Combat Group Juliet) [Afr: Veggroep Juliet] in South-West Africa as a force to prevent attacks on the region from SWAPO forces in southern Angola and was located at Omuthya in northern SWA.

61 Mechanised Battalion Group
61 Mechanised Infantry Battalion Group (61 MECH) [Afr: 61 Gemeganiseerde Bataljongroep] was a unit of the South African Infantry Corps. Although it was classed as mechanized infantry, it was a mixed force of infantry, armour and artillery. It was formed in 1978 as Battle Group Juliet (or Combat Group Juliet) [Afr: Veggroep Juliet] in South-West Africa as a force to prevent attacks on the region from SWAPO forces in southern Angola and was located at Omuthya in northern SWA.

62 Mechanised Battalion Group
62 Mechanised Battalion Group (62 MECH) [Afr: 62 Gemeganiseerde Bataljongroep] was formed in 1985 mainly from the operational battalion of 4 South African Infantry Battalion and Ratel Squadrons from 1 Special Service Battalion. 62 Mech Group was part of 60 Brigade, based at Lohatla Army Battle School, together with 61 Mech and 63 Mech encompassing battlegroup principles. By 1994, the unit was disbanded. Its infantry elements were returned to 4 SAI at Middelburg, its armour elements returned to 1 SSB in Bloemfontein, while its artillery was returned to that respective Corps.

63 Mechanised Battalion Group
63 Mechanised Battalion Group (63 MECH) [Afr: 63 Gemeganiseerde Bataljongroep] was an ad-hoc mechanised unit formed from and based on 8 SAI elements in 1989 for Operations Merlyn and Agree. The unit generally included two mechanised infantry companies (A&B Coys), a tank squadron (C Sqn), a G5 battery (S Battery), an armoured car squadron (E Sqn), an air defence troop (F Sqn), an engineer troop and a support company including mortar, antitank and assault pioneer platoons. From 1990 the unit deployed internally in South Africa.

111 South African Infantry Battalion
111 Battalion (111 BN) [Afr: 111 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established in 1977 at Amsterdam in the Eastern Transvaal as one of nine regional African battalions to train black soldiers, each with a particular ethnic identity, which would serve under regional SADF commands. 111 SA Battalion were recruited from the self-governing territory of KaNgwane, where the SADF itself maintained a base. it resorted under the command of Eastern Transvaal Command which was based in Nelspruit, and was responsible for patrolling the border between Swaziland and South Africa. 111 Battalion was disbanded around 1999.

112 South African Infantry Battalion
112 Battalion (112 BN) [Afr: 112 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established in 1978 at Madimbo, in the Soutpansberg Military Area, just outside the Venda territory in Northern Transvaal, as one of nine regional African battalions to train black soldiers, each with a particular ethnic identity, which would serve under regional SADF commands. 112 BN comprised of Vendas from Venda. On 27 September 1982 112 Battalion was disbanded and re-established to form One Venda Battalion at Manenu, when its soldiers were all transferred to the Venda Defence Force (VDF) [Afr: Venda Weermag]. At that stage this battalion consisted of three companies and was to all purposes a light infantry battalion.

113 South African Infantry Battalion
113 Battalion (113 BN) [Afr: 113 Bataljon] was established at Phalaborwa in the Eastern Transvaal as one of nine regional African battalions to train black soldiers, each with a particular ethnic identity, which would serve under regional SADF commands. 113 BN comprised of Shangaan soldiers from Gazankulu. The original intention was for this battalion to form the basis of a future Gazankulu Defence Force. 113 Battalion resorted under the command of Group 13. 64 soldiers from 113 Battalion were transferred to 116 Battalion when that unit was expanded. 113 Battalion was later absorbed into 7 South African Infantry Battalion to form a single battalion in the new SANDF.

113 South African Infantry Battalion
113 Battalion (113 BN) [Afr: 113 Bataljon] was established at Phalaborwa in the Eastern Transvaal as one of nine regional African battalions to train black soldiers, each with a particular ethnic identity, which would serve under regional SADF commands. 113 BN comprised of Shangaan soldiers from Gazankulu. The original intention was for this battalion to form the basis of a future Gazankulu Defence Force. 113 Battalion resorted under the command of Group 13. 64 soldiers from 113 Battalion were transferred to 116 Battalion when that unit was expanded. 113 Battalion was later absorbed into 7 South African Infantry Battalion to form a single battalion in the new SANDF.

114 South African Infantry Battalion*
114 Battalion (114 BN) [Afr: 114 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] would have been established as one of the regional African battalions to train black soldiers, each with a particular ethnic identity, which would serve under regional SADF commands. This particular battalion was planned to comprise of mixed tribes and located in the Pretoria area, but it was never actually formed. (*No known emblem exists)

115 South African Infantry Battalion
115 Battalion (115 BN) [Afr: 115 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established in 1984 at Sustershoek (now Siyabuswa, which was the intended capital of KwaNdebele), in the then Central Transvaal, as one of nine regional African battalions to train black soldiers, each with a particular ethnic identity, which would serve under regional SADF commands. 115 BN initially comprised of Ndebele soldiers as it was intended to form the beginning of an armed forces for the KwaNdebele homeland, but weak local support for independence from South Africa eventually halted the idea. 115 Battalion therefore remained a SADF unit under the Northern Transvaal Command, and later, after 1994, resorted under the Gauteng Command. The battalion was disbanded around 1997 and some members were assimilated into the new SANDF.

115 South African Infantry Battalion
115 Battalion (115 BN) [Afr: 115 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established in 1984 at Sustershoek (now Siyabuswa, which was the intended capital of KwaNdebele), in the then Central Transvaal, as one of nine regional African battalions to train black soldiers, each with a particular ethnic identity, which would serve under regional SADF commands. 115 BN initially comprised of Ndebele soldiers as it was intended to form the beginning of an armed forces for the KwaNdebele homeland, but weak local support for independence from South Africa eventually halted the idea. 115 Battalion therefore remained a SADF unit under the Northern Transvaal Command, and later, after 1994, resorted under the Gauteng Command. The battalion was disbanded around 1997 and some members were assimilated into the new SANDF.

116 South African Infantry Battalion
116 Battalion (116 BN) [Afr: 116 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was to be established as one of nine regional African battalions to train black soldiers, each with a particular ethnic identity which would serve under regional SADF commands. It was eventually raised at Messine in 1986 as an original platoon of only 14 men but expanded quickly. The first personnel consisted of former Rhodesian soldiers who had moved to South Africa and were mustered by the Intelligence Corps. 64 Tsonga soldiers from 113 Battalion was also integrated in the newly formed Battalion. Recruitment was also done from the Lebowa Homeland to finally bring the Battalion up to strength. 116 Battalion initially resorted under Far North Command and finally with the Soutpansberg Military Area. The unit was disbanded around 1999 as its main function of border control had been issued to the South African Police Service.

117 South African Infantry Battalion
117 Battalion (117 BN) [Afr: 117 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was to be established at Soekmekaar in 1993 as one of nine regional African battalions to train black soldiers, each with a particular ethnic identity, which would serve under regional SADF commands. 117 BN would have comprised of Sepedi soldiers from the Northern Transvaal. The battalion was converted into a training unit around 1997 and was finally amalgamated into 3 South African Infantry Battalion as part of the new SANDF.

117 South African Infantry Battalion
117 Battalion (117 BN) [Afr: 117 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was to be established at Soekmekaar in 1993 as one of nine regional African battalions to train black soldiers, each with a particular ethnic identity, which would serve under regional SADF commands. 117 BN would have comprised of Sepedi soldiers from the Northern Transvaal. The battalion was converted into a training unit around 1997 and was finally amalgamated into 3 South African Infantry Battalion as part of the new SANDF.

118 South African Infantry Battalion
118 South African Infantry Battalion (118 SAI or 118 BN) [Afr: 118 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was established at Ellisras as one of nine regional African battalions to train black soldiers, each with a particular ethnic identity, which would serve under regional SADF commands. Troops for 118 SA Battalion were recruited from the self-governing territory of Lebowa and comprised of Sepedi soldiers from the Northern Transvaal. At first it fell under the command of the Group 45 Headquarters at Pietersburg but was later reorganized under the Group 14 Headquarters at Pietersburg, until the Group was amalgamated with Group 29 at Ellisras. The battalion was disbanded in 2006.

121 South African Infantry Battalion
121 Battalion (121 SAI) [Afr: 121 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] was officially established at Jozini in Northern Natal on 23 April 1979 as the nucleus of a future KwaZulu defence force. Zulu chief minister Mangosuthu Buthelezi however refused "independence" for his homeland and the battalion stayed within the South African Defence Force. During 1980 a platoon went for border duty in South West Africa and did extremely well. The unit moved to its new site outside Mtubatuba in the Dukuduku State Forest on 9 July 1981. (Dukuduku is the Zulu word for "being lost"). The unit deployed to northern SWA and southern Angola in the mid-1980s during the Border War and afterwards served at home in a counterinsurgency role. The unit received its National Colours in 1989 and its Unit Colours in 1994. 121 SA Infantry Battalion was honoured with the "Freedom of the Borough of Umhlanga" on 25 November 1989 as well as the "Freedom of the Borough of Mtubatuba" on 19 November 1994.

151 South African Infantry Battalion
151 Bn (151 SAI) [Afr: 151 Suid-Afrikaanse Infanteriebataljon] comprised of southern Sotho's which were recruited from the self-governing territory of Qwaqwa. It also fell under the command of Group 36, as part of the orange Free State Command. The battalion was responsible for patrolling the border between Lesotho and South Africa. It was disbanded around 1994 and its members were assimilated into 1 South African Infantry Battalion and the new SANDF

905 Special Services Company
905 Special Services Company (905 SSC) [Afr: 905 Spesiale Dienskompanie (905 SDK] was a motorised infantry company-strength Reaction Force (Reaksie Mag - RM) deployed on Buffels, and based at Nepara in Sector 20, with white junior leaders drawn from the Infantry School and other battalions.

906 Special Services Company
906 Special Services Company (906 SSC) [Afr: 906 Spesiale Dienskompanie (906 SDK)] was a motorised infantry company-strength Reaction Force (Reaksie Mag - RM) deployed on Buffels, and based at Omahoni in Sector 20, which had been formed from local Kwanyama troops with white junior leaders drawn from Infantry School and other battalions. It ormed part of Sector 20s Mobile Reaction Force [Afr: Mobiele Reaksie Mag] under the command of Maj Wolmarans with Captain Rademeyer as his 2IC [Additional Info from Chris Faure]

907 Special Services Company
907 Special Services Company (907 SSC) [Afr: 907 Spesiale Dienskompanie (907 SDK)] was a motorised infantry company-strength Reaction Force (Reaksie Mag - RM) deployed on Buffels, and based at Madimbo in the Soutpansberg Military Area, with white junior leaders drawn from Infantry School and other battalions. The old Bravo Company from 116 Bn was designated as 907 SSC in 1986 and converted to Casspirs later.

Alpha Group
Alpha Group was formed in 1974, then renamed to 31 Battalion (31 BN) after Operation Savannah. In 1980 the unit became 201 Battalion as part of the SWATF..

Bravo Group
Bravo Group was formed in 1975, became part of Task Force Zulu as Battle Group Bravo during Operation Savannah, then renamed to 32 Battalion (32 BN) after Operation Savannah..

Cape Flats Battalion
The Cape Flats Commando [Afr: Cape Flats-Kommando] was formed as an Urban Commando at Rosebank in Cape Town on 25 January 1962 in the Western Province Command. All the original members were volunteers. From 1964 National Servicemen were posted to the unit after their initial training to complete their Annual National Service commitments. From 1969 the commando was organised under the Group 1 Headquarters at Youngsfield. By 1975 the unit consisted mainly of National Servicemen with a small number of Volunteers in the Leader Group. In 1983 the unit was granted Citizen Force status and the name changed to Cape Flats Battalion [Afr: Cape Flats Bataljon] with its HQ in Claremont, Cape Town. The Battalion was a well trained counter insurgency infantry unit with the ability to adapt to variable circumstances to do duty throughout South Africa.

Cape Regiment
The Cape Regiment [Afr: Kaapse Regiment] was established in Cape Town as a segregated reserve unit of the Cape Corps on 1 January 1986. and disbanded together with all the SACC units on 31 March 1992

Cape Town Highlanders
The Cape Town Highlanders (CTH) was established on April 24, 1885. It saw action during the Langberg campaign of 1897, the Anglo Boer War in 1899-1901, and from 1913 to 1932, it was known as the 6th Infantry. It served through WW 1 and WW 2 and in January 1976 for Operation Savannah. In subsequent years the CTH was mobilised several times for operational and training service; the last was in October 1988.

Cape Town Rifles
The Cape Town Rifles "Duke's" were raised in Cape Town as the Cape Rifle Corps on 28 Nov 1855, making it the oldest Cape infantry unit. The name changed to the Cape Town Rifles in 1857. In 1876, the Cape Town Rifles became the Duke of Edinburgh's Own Volunteer Rifles, known as The Dukes. It served in almost every campaign since the 9th Frontier War (1877-78). The current name was forced on the unit in 1961 as part of the new SADF.

Congella Regiment
The Congella Regiment was born of an amalgamation of citizen force personnel attached to local Commando's and originally occupied Bluff Commando Headquarters at Salisbury Island. It was granted regimental status in 1980. Despite being one of the youngest citizen force units in South Africa, it can trace its roots to the true battle of Congella on 23 May 1842, when the British troops were beaten by the Boers in the vicinity of Maydon Wharf. This resulted in the Regiment's name being chosen through its historical association with Durban. The Regiment was one of a number of infantry units available to the OC Natal Command for Rural and Urban Counter Insurgency Operations, and has executed both border and township protection duties in prevention of illegal incursions. It was later moved to Blamey Road, Montclair and from 1990, it formed part of Group 10.

Dog Centre
The Dog Centre was established as a dog and equestrian centre at Voortrekkerhoogte (Thaba Tswane) in 1964. A decade later the equestrian centre was moved to the farm Welgegund at Potchef-stroom. The dog centre moved to Bourke's Luck in the Eastern Transvaal (now Mpumalanga), in 1979. There dogs were trained for patrol, guard, sniffer and tracker duties. They proved a great success during the Angolan border war.

Dog School
The Dog Centre was established as a dog and equestrian centre at Voortrekkerhoogte (Thaba Tswane) in 1964. A decade later the equestrian centre was moved to the farm Welgegund at Potchef-stroom. The dog centre moved to Bourke's Luck in the Eastern Transvaal (now Mpumalanga), in 1979. There dogs were trained for patrol, guard, sniffer and tracker duties. They proved a great success during the Angolan border war.

Donkin Regiment
The Donkin Commando was upgraded to a regiment in 1987. During the latter part of 2000, Regiment Algoa Bay, Regiment Uitenhage and Donkin Regiment were amalgamated with Regiment Piet Retief.

Durban Light Infantry
The Durban Light Infantry (DLI) was formed in 1854 as the Durban Volunteer Guard and became the Durban Rifle Guard in 1859. On 2 Apr 1873 it became the Royal Durban Rifles. Between 1889 and 1895 the unit was amalgamated with the Maritzburg Rifles as the Natal Royal Rifles. On the constitution of the Union Defence Force in 1912, the Unit became the Durban Light Infantry, renamed the 1st Infantry, (Durban Light Infantry). In consequence the Unit was permitted to add to its badge "Primus in Africa". The DLI participated in both WW1 and WW2. In 1935, King George V conferred the title Royal on the Royal Durban Light Infantry as a recognition of its seniority and service. In 1961 with the formation of the Republic, the title "Royal" was considered incompatible and the Regiment reverted to being the Durban Light Infantry. It was utilised as infantry during the Border War and formed part of 84 Motorised Brigade from the formation's inception in 1974.

Durban Regiment
The Durban Regiment (DR) was established in 1923 in Durban as the Durban Volunteer Guides. The unit was disbanded after WW2 but reformed in 1959 as an armoured infantry unit. Its official establishment date is given as 1 Jan 1960. It hastily formed and deployed to Cato Manor for Operation Duiker in 1960, provided troops for the Bush war from 1972 to 1982 and the Natal border from 1982 to 1984. From 1985 to 1991 it was involved in COINOPS in various townships.

Equestrian Centre
The Equestrian Centre [Afr: Beredesentrum] was established as a dog and equestrian centre at Voortrekker-hoogte (Thaba Tswane) in 1964. A decade later the equestrian centre was moved to the farm Welgegund at Potchefstroom. It trained and provided horse-mounted infantry and motorcyclists to SA Army units for area defence (counter-insurgency) purposes. The equestrian centre spawned a stud farm at De Aar in the Northern Cape in 1980.

First City Regiment
The First City Regiment was raised on 7 Oct 1875 and is the country's senior Scottish regiment. Based in Grahamstown, it participated in the 9th Frontier War of 1877, the Basutoland conflict in 1880, in German South West Africa in 1914, and in World War Two as a composite regiment. The regiment served in the South African Border War from 1977 to 1986, and was also involved from 1983 until 1994 in internal operations.

Infantry School
The Infantry School was established as a self accounting unit on 1 October 1963. On 1 January 1964 the new Infantry School opened its portals in Oudtshoorn. During January 1974 the training of National Service Infantry Leader Group started at this facility.

Infantry School
The Infantry School was established as a self accounting unit on 1 October 1963. On 1 January 1964 the new Infantry School opened its portals in Oudtshoorn. During January 1974 the training of National Service Infantry Leader Group started at this facility.

Johannesburg Regiment
The Johannesburg Regiment was founded as an infantry unit in Auckland Park on 1 Jan 1960 after 8 Field Artillery Regiment was closed down. In 1962 the Johannesburg Municipality agreed that the Regiment could use the Municipal Coat of Arms as their unit emblem. It became one of the first CF units to be converted from a motorized to a mechanized unit in 1980, and has been actively involved in operational service since 1960.

Johannesburg South Regiment
The Johanesburg East Commando [Afr Johannesburg-Oos Kommando] was raised as the Johannesburg East Defence Association on 4 November 1924, under Government Gazette 24/1064, with its headquarters in Johan Rissik School in Troyeville. By 1951 the associations became commandos and the unit was renamed to Johanesburg East Commando. During the SADF-era, the unit resorted under the command of the Group 18 Headquarters, and was mainly engaged in area force protection, search and cordons as well as other assistance to the local police. As an urban unit, the commando was also tasked with protecting strategic facilities as well as quelling township riots especially during the State of Emergency in the early 1980s. the unit was renamed to the Johannesburg South Commando in 1979. In 1983 the unit was granted regimental status and was renamed to Johannesburg South Regiment.

Kaffrarian Rifles
The Kaffrarian Rifles was raised in East London on December 20, 1883. It was mobilised for the Anglo South African War in 1899. During the German South West African campaign the regiment served under General Louis Botha. During the 1939-45 war, it was part of 4 SA Brigade in North Africa and was captured with 2 SA Division at Tobruk in 1942. It also served in the Border War, fighting in Soth West Africa, Angola and Zambia. In order to keep pace with the changing political climate in South Africa, the regiment was renamed the Buffalo Volunteer Rifles in 1999.

Kaokoland Company
The Kaokoland Company was formed in 1978 and expanded into 37 Battalion in 1979, after a SWAPO incursion in to the area. It was renamed to 102 Battalion as part of the newly formed SWATF.

Kimberley Regiment
The Kimberley Regiment was formed at Kimberley on 14 Aug 1876 and in 1899 the Diamond Fields Horse and the Kimberley Rifles were amalgamated into a single unit. In 1907 it absorbed the Diamond Fields Artillery and after WW1 the Kimberley Light Horse and Kimberley Mounted Corps. In 1913 it became the 13th Infantry and then the 7th Infantry. It sent two bns to German SWA in 1915. During WW2, the unit served with the 6th SA Armoured Division with the Rand Light Infantry.

Natal Carbineers
The Natal Carbineers was raised in Pietrmaritzburg on 15 Jan 1855 and took part in virtually every conflict since, from the Zulu War of 1879, the Boer War (1899-1902), German SWA (1914-15), East Africa (1940-41), Western Desert (1941-43), and Italy (1943-45). It saw service in a counter-insurgency capacity in northern South West Africa for 3 months in 1976, and thereafter in numerous modular deployments over the next decade.

Parachute Training School
The 44 Brigade Parachute Training School was established in Bloemfontein as 1 Parachute Battalion, which is undoubtedly the home of the Parabat which is a South African Army paratrooper. The name is derived from the words "Parachute Battalion". The history of the Parabats started on 1 April 1961 with the formation of the Parachute Battalion. After 1998 it was renamed to Parachute Training Centre

Rand Light Infantry
The Rand Light Infantry (RLI) was formed on 1 Oct 1905 as the Transvaal Cycle Corps from the Bicycle Section of the Transvaal Scottish Regiment. In 1909 it became the Transvaal Cycle and Motor Corps. In 1913 it was renamed the 11th Infantry (Rand Light Infantry) and converted to an infantry regiment. Finally named Rand Light Infantry in 1932, it served in World War 2 and later formed part of the Citizen Force of the SADF.

Regiment Algoa Bay
Regiment Algoa Bay (RAB) [Afr: Regiment Algoabaai] had originally been raised as an artillery unit known as the 5th S.A. Field Regiment, which formed part of the 2nd South African Division in North Africa in 1941 and was at Tubruk in 1942. Reformed after the war, in 1946, the regiment was only named Regiment Algoa Bay in January 1960 when it was converted to the mechanised infantry role. Before that the Regiment therefore initially wore artillery badges. The lighthouse cap badge was adopted in 1964 and was based on the design of the Donkin Reserve lighthouse. Regiment Algoa Bay, Regiment Uitenhage and Donkin Regiment were amalgamated with Regiment Piet Retief in 2000, which was placed directly under the command of the Infantry Formation.

Regiment Bloemspruit
Regiment Bloemspruit was established on 1 Jan 1964 (officially given as 1 Jan 1963) as the first Citizen Force infantry regiment in the then Orange Free State with the active involvement of then Minister of Defence and later State President, JJ (Jim) Fouché. The Freedom of the City was conferred on the Regiment by the City Council of Bloemfontein on 29 January 1981, which the unit exercised for the first time on 6 March 1982. The regiment served in the South African Border War in the 1970s and 1980s. It served as motorised infantry (as it still does) and is based in Bloemfontein in the Free State. On 1 April 1997, Regiment Louw Wepener (Bethlehem), Regiment De Wet (Kroonstad) and Regiment Dan Pienaar (Bloemfontein) were absorbed into Regiment Bloemspruit.

Regiment Boland
Regiment Boland was established as Regiment Westelike Provincie (RWP) in 1934. RWP was renamed Regiment Onze Jan in 1951, only to be changed again in 1960 to Regiment Boland. The Regt acquired a 2nd battalion in 1972, with the 1st Bn being headquartered at Paarl and the 2nd Bn at Worcester. In 1974 the 1st Bn became Regiment Westelike Provincie, while the 2nd Bn remained Regiment Boland.

Regiment Botha
Regiment Botha was established at Ermelo on 1 Apr 1934. It was named after the Prime Minister and Boer general. The unit was destroyed by the Deutsches Afrika Korps on Totensontag, November 23, 1941. The survivors were reorganised as 2 Regt Botha was back at full strength by April 1942. In 1951 2 Regt Botha became the Regiment Christiaan Beyers, a motorised infantry regiment of the Active Citizen Force. From 1960 to 1966, Regiment Botha was called Regiment Pongola

Regiment Christiaan Beyers
Regiment Christiaan Beyers was established as Regiment Botha at Ermelo on 1 May 1946. It was named after the Prime Minister and Boer general. The unit was destroyed by the Deutsches Afrika Korps on Totensontag, November 23, 1941. The survivors were reorganised as 2 Regt Botha was back at full strength by April 1942. In 1951 2 Regt Botha became the Regiment Christiaan Beyers, a motorised infantry regiment of the Active Citizen Force. In 1964 It was renamed Regiment Limpopo, but in the late 1960s it reverted to Regiment Christiaan Beyers again.

Regiment Dan Pienaar
Regiment Dan Pienaar (RDP) was originally formed at Bloemfontein as 2 Regiment Bloemspruit (2RBS), an offshoot of Regiment Bloemspruit. It was decided to rename 2RBS after the famous WW2 general and Free Stater, General Dan Pienaar on 1 June 1976, so that the unit could begin to form it's own history and traditions. The unit also served in numerous deployments in the Border War in SWA/Namibia and received the Freedom of the city of Bloemfontein in 1981. It was disbanded on 1 April 1997 when the remaining members were incorporated into Regiment Bloemspruit.

Regiment de la Rey
Regiment de la Rey (RDLR) was originaly formed at Potchefstroom on 1 Apr 1934. It was renamed to Regiment Wes Transvaal in 1960, after which was changed back to RDLR in 1966. It participated in the Border War, especially during Operation Packer in 1988, where a battalion was part of the 82nd Mechanied Brigade attack on the Tumpo Triangle at Cuito Cuanavale. Regiment De la Rey (RDLR) was named after the "Lion of the West", as General Koos de la Rey was known since the South African War.

Regiment De Wet
Regiment De Wet (RDW) was established at Kroonstad on 1 Apr 1934 one of six Afrikaans-speaking Citizen Force regiments established as part of the expansion of the then Union Defence Force of South Africa. The regiment was named after the OFS Boer War commandant, Christiaan de Wet. The regiment's headquarters was located in Kroonstad, a large town in the Orange Free State and a vital railway junction which gave some strategic importance. It was used to reinforce the ranks of Regiment President Steyn during World War 2, both of which WERE infantry units at that time. RPS was converted to an armoured car regiment and in 1975 to a tank regiment, but RDW remained infantry. RDW also served in numerous deployments in the Border War in SWA. The unit became part of the SANDF's Infantry Formation after 1994, and was absorbed into Regiment Bloemspruit on April 1 1997.

Regiment Edenvale
Regiment Edenvale [Afr: Regiment Edenvale] was originally established as the Edenvale Commando at Edenvale on the East Rand of the Transvaal (now part of Gauteng Province). Sometime during the SADF period, probably in the 1980s, it was upgraded to a full regiment and was organised under the Group 42 Headquarters at Lenz, as part of the Witwatersrand Command. It is unclear as to when the regiment was disbanded.

Regiment Erongo
Regiment Erongo was established on 1 June 1967 as an original infantry regiment of the SWA Command and was transferred from the SADF to the South West Africa Territory Force (SWATF) in 1980, and renamed to 912 Battalion (913 BN) to form part of 91 SWA Brigade. 91 SWA Brigade was the Reaction Force, with its base at Windhoek, in Sector 40. It acted as a mobile reserve to support SWATF operations in Sectors 10 and 20 in northern South West Africa and was modelled on the SADF motorised brigade.

Regiment Groot Karoo
Regiment Groot Karoo (RGK) was formed as `Die Middelandse Regiment' in 1934. It participated in the battle of El Alamein as a machine gun battalion in 1942. In 1954 they were renamed to the `Regiment Gideon Scheepers' and converted to an armoured role, but in 1960 it was renamed Regimen Groot Karoo and converted to infantry. In 1974 it became part of 82 Mechanised Brigade and in 1988 it was involved in Operation Packer with the rest of the brigade. The regiment became part of 9 SA Division in 1992 as part of the rationalization process and was finally disbanded in 1999

Regiment Groot Karoo
Regiment Groot Karoo (RGK) was formed as `Die Middelandse Regiment' in 1934. It participated in the battle of El Alamein as a machine gun battalion in 1942. In 1954 they were renamed to the `Regiment Gideon Scheepers' and converted to an armoured role, but in 1960 it was renamed Regimen Groot Karoo and converted to infantry. In 1974 it became part of 82 Mechanised Brigade and in 1988 it was involved in Operation Packer with the rest of the brigade. The regiment became part of 9 SA Division in 1992 as part of the rationalization process and was finally disbanded in 1999

Regiment Hillcrest
Regiment Hillcrest was first established as a Commando in 1962 in Hillcrest, Pretoria as an exclusively English-speaking unit, but on the Minister of Defence's insistence that they must speak both official languages, it was decided to "Instead of one tale, our lion will have 2 tales, as the Minister insisted". As a commando, the unit did some camps in Rhodesia, and then became a Regiment in 1983, where after It did border camps in the Far North Command.

Regiment Hoëveld
Regiment Highveld [Afr: Regiment Hoëveld] was formed in Middelburg on 1 January 1960. It also had a rear HQ in the town of Nelspruit, and was utilized in a motorized infantry role and deployed on internal security duties on a regular basis. It was disbanded in 1997

Regiment Langenhoven
Regiment Langenhoven was originally formed as Regiment South Western Districts in 1934 and headquartered in Oudtshoorn. The Regiment was initially tasked as a machine gun battalion. It was converted to a motorised infantry battalion in October 1956 and underwent a name change to Regiment Langenhoven after Cornelis Jacobus Langenhoven, a South African poet. Between 1960 and 1966 the regiment was known as Regiment Outeniqua, but by 1966 the regiment reverted back to the name of Regiment Langenhoven.

Regiment Louw Wepener
Regiment Louw Wepener was established in Ladybrand on 1 April 1934, as one of six Afrikaans-speaking Citizen Force regiments and was a mechnised infantry unit. During World War 2 both it and Regiment De Wet were absorbed into Regiment President Steyn. In 1946, the regiment was resuscitated and in 1960 it became Regiment Oos-Vrystaat. The original designation was re-adopted in 1966 when it became a motorised infantry unit. The regiment served until well into the 1990s before it was disbanded on 1 April 1997 when the remaining members were incorporated into Regiment Bloemspruit.

Regiment Louw Wepener
Regiment Louw Wepener was established in Ladybrand on 1 April 1934, as one of six Afrikaans-speaking Citizen Force regiments and was a mechnised infantry unit. During World War 2 both it and Regiment De Wet were absorbed into Regiment President Steyn. In 1946, the regiment was resuscitated and in 1960 it became Regiment Oos-Vrystaat. The original designation was re-adopted in 1966 when it became a motorised infantry unit. The regiment served until well into the 1990s before it was disbanded on 1 April 1997 when the remaining members were incorporated into Regiment Bloemspruit.

Regiment Namutoni
Regiment Namutoni was established on 1 June 1967 at Otjiwarongo as an original infantry regiment of the SWA Command and moved to Windhoek in June 1971. It was transferred from the SADF to the South West Africa Territory Force (SWATF) in 1980 and renamed to 913 Battalion (913 BN) to form part of 91 SWA Brigade. 91 SWA Brigade was the Reaction Force of the SWATF, with its base at Windhoek in Sector 40. It acted as a mobile reserve to support SWATF operations in Sectors 10 and 20 in northern South West Africa and was modelled on the SADF motorised brigade.

Regiment Natalia
The Natalia Regiment [Afr: Regiment Natalia] could trace its origins back to a Natal Law for the protection of the colony, namely Law No 19 of 1862 which instructed the establishment of a rifle association. The name of this rifle association was changed during the UDF era to the Pietermaritzburg Commando. By the 1940s, the commando was headquartered at the Pietermaritzburg Drill Hall and was shared by another unit during that era, namely the Natal Carbineers. In 1981, the commando was converted to a regiment as an infantry battalion under the Citizen Force, being renamed as the Natalia Regiment. Its responsibility included border duties along the Mozambique border with Natal as well as operational duties in South West Africa. The regiment would deploy its tactical HQ to Jozini, for operations around the Makathini Flats.

Regiment Noord Natal
The Northern Natal Regiment (RNN) [Afr: Regiment Noord Natal] (sometimes referred to as Regiment North Natal) was established in the 1950s at Paulpietersburg as Regiment Smuts. It was renamed to Regiment Noord Natal in 1961 and the headquarters was moved to Vryheid. Members served in Owamboland in northen SWA from 1976. In 1980 the headquarters was moved to Newcastle. The four active companies and about 800 Citizen Force members served in the operational and border areas. Regiment North Natal was disbanded in 1997.

Regiment Oos Rand
Regiment Oos Rand [Afr: Regiment Oos rand] was established as a Citizen Force infantry unit on 1 January 1960, in Germiston on the East Rand of the Transvaal (now part of Gauteng Province). The regiment was mobilised for Operation Duiker a week after activation and had 240 members available within 24 hours. By September 1960 the unit had received its regimental emblem. During 1962 the regiment was re-organised as a motorised infantry battalion and on 14 September 1963 it received its Colours. The regiment received the Freedom of Benoni in 1967, and received its ceremonial sword on 18 October 1969. From 1976 to 1979, Regiment Oos-Rand called up its members for operational service on the SWA border. From 1983 onward, Regiment Oos-Rand was involved in internal stability and township control under the Group 16 Headquarters. In 1990 the regiment was converted to a mechanised infantry battalion and assigned to the command of 73 Brigade.

Regiment Piet Retief
Originally founded in 1940, Regiment Piet Retief (RPR) was re-established as a predominantly Afrikaans speaking motorized infantry citizen force regiment in 1952, with its headquarters in Graaff-Reinet although its official establishment date is given as 1 Jan 1954. In 1956 the HQ was moved to Cradock, and in 1960, the name was changed to Regiment Transkei (RTK). In 1962, the HQ was moved to the Drill Hall in Queenstown. The name was once again changed in 1966, this time to Regiment Noordoos-Kaap (RNOK), but a year later, in 1967, the name was changed back to Regiment Piet Retief. The HQ was moved to Port Elizabeth in 1987 and became part of Group 39 in 1994 During the latter part of 2000, Regiment Algoa Bay, Regiment Uitenhage and Donkin Regiment were amalgamated with Regiment Piet Retief.

Regiment Pongola
Regiment Botha was established at Ermelo on 1 Apr 1934. It was named after the Prime Minister and Boer general. The unit was destroyed by the Deutsches Afrika Korps on Totensontag, November 23, 1941. The survivors were reorganised as 2 Regt Botha was back at full strength by April 1942. In 1951 2 Regt Botha became the Regiment Christiaan Beyers, a motorised infantry regiment of the Active Citizen Force. From 1960 to 1966, Regiment Botha was called Regiment Pongola

Regiment Port Natal
Regiment Port Natal (RPN) was established In 1969, when the Durban Regiment was instructed to transfer all Afrikaans speaking unit members to this newly formed unit. which subsequently saw active service on internal security duties in the Natal Province. The regiment was assigned to 84 Motorised Brigade, and was eventually amalgamated with Durban Light Infantry Regiment in the 1980s.

Regiment Port Natal
Regiment Port Natal (RPN) was established In 1969, when the Durban Regiment was instructed to transfer all Afrikaans speaking unit members to this newly formed unit. which subsequently saw active service on internal security duties in the Natal Province. The regiment was assigned to 84 Motorised Brigade, and was eventually amalgamated with Durban Light Infantry Regiment in the 1980s.

Regiment President Kruger
Regiment President Kruger (RPK) was raised on 1 Jan 1954 as Motorised Infantry with its headquarters at Krugersdorp. It was named after the former Zuid Afrikaanse Republiek president, Paul Kruger. In 1960 it was renamed Regiment Wesrand (West Rand), but reverted back to its original name in 1964. It served as a Citizen Force unit in the SADF and formed part of the Far North Command until the HQ moved to Randfontien in 1972, in the Witwatersrand Command. Sometimes it was wrongly referred to as Regiment Paul Kruger (RPK).

Regiment Pretorius
Regiment Pretorius (RP) was initially based in the Pretoria suburb of Hercules where it used to be known as the Hercules Commando. In 1983, the existing elements of the commando were converted into Regiment Pretorius. The unit was later moved to Voortrekkerhoogte.

Regiment Sasolburg
Regiment Sasolburg was originally part of the Heilbron Commando before forming as the Sasolburg Commando in February 1962. While the SASOL Commando was responsible for the SASOL and NATREF refineries, the Sasolburg Commando was responsible for all other factories and installations in the larger district. The Sasolburg Commando was reclassified as a regiment in June 1985, even though its expanded responsibilities had existed since 4 February 1985. In 1986 the Regiment was reclassed as a counter insurgency battalion so that it could be utilised in the black townships for riot control.

Regiment Skoonspruit
Regiment Skoonspruit (also known as Regiment Schoonspruit) was established in 1964, as a Citizen Force infantry unit, at Klerksdorp in the Western Transvaal, with its headquarters which relocated to Orkney in 1966. It became part of the then North Western Districts Command in 1968, which later became the North West Command, based at Potchefstroom. The first commander was Cmdt Kruger followed by Cmdt Roodt, Cmdt Jacobs and lastly Lt/Col Campher. The regiment was deployed in the Kaokoveld in 1981 and saw action against SWAPO/PLAN insurgents during which a member was killed by an enemy rifle grenade. Regiment Skoonspruit has also deployed for internal security duties on a regular basis. The regiment was disbanded in 1999, a year after the North West Command that it had been part of for over thirty years.

Regiment Skoonspruit
Regiment Skoonspruit (also known as Regiment Schoonspruit) was established in 1964, as a Citizen Force infantry unit, at Klerksdorp in the Western Transvaal, with its headquarters which relocated to Orkney in 1966. It became part of the then North Western Districts Command in 1968, which later became the North West Command, based at Potchefstroom. The first commander was Cmdt Kruger followed by Cmdt Roodt, Cmdt Jacobs and lastly Lt/Col Campher. The regiment was deployed in the Kaokoveld in 1981 and saw action against SWAPO/PLAN insurgents during which a member was killed by an enemy rifle grenade. Regiment Skoonspruit has also deployed for internal security duties on a regular basis. The regiment was disbanded in 1999, a year after the North West Command that it had been part of for over thirty years.

Regiment Springs
Regiment Springs originally descended from Regiment Oosrand as its 2nd Battalion, better known as Regiment Verre Oosrand, which had been raised in Benoni in January 1964. The regiment was relocated to Springs and took its current name in March 1972. The regiment saw service on the SWA Border in 1975 during Operation Savannah, on the RSA's eastern borders in the late 1980s, and also performed Internal Security duties in the townships. It was disbanded in 1996.

Regiment Universiteit Stellenbosch
Regiment Universiteit Stellenbosch [Eng: Regiment University of Stellenbosch] (RUS) was formed in Stellenbosch in January 1960 by renaming an existing infantry regiment of the UDF, Regiment Tobie Muller, itself dating from November 1953 In the late 1950s in South Africa, military units were attached to each large university. The concept was for long term students to complete their military training in these units. Training would also be organised so as not to unduly interfere with university work. The Regiment was deployed for border duty in South West Africa as well as for internal unrest mainly in the Cape Province throughout the 1970s.

Regiment Universiteit Stellenbosch
Regiment Universiteit Stellenbosch [Eng: Regiment University of Stellenbosch] (RUS) was formed in Stellenbosch in January 1960 by renaming an existing infantry regiment of the UDF, Regiment Tobie Muller, itself dating from November 1953 In the late 1950s in South Africa, military units were attached to each large university. The concept was for long term students to complete their military training in these units. Training would also be organised so as not to unduly interfere with university work. The Regiment was deployed for border duty in South West Africa as well as for internal unrest mainly in the Cape Province throughout the 1970s.

Regiment Vanderbijlpark
Regiment Vanderbijlpark was originally known as the Vanderbijlpark Commando which itself had originated as a shooting commando in 1953 when it divided from the Vereeniging Commando. The Vanderbijlpark Commando was formally militarised in 1961 when all members received their Force Numbers and placed in companies. From 1961 to 1969 the unit was responsible for the security of Vanderbijlpark and ISCOR, the Iron and Steel Corporation of South Africa facilities. The unit was officially reclassified a regiment on 31 January 1986, and received Freedom of Entry to Vanderbijlpark on 20 February 1982 and exercised its right.

Regiment Verre Oosrand
Regiment Springs originally descended from Regiment Oosrand as its 2nd Battalion, better known as Regiment Verre Oosrand, which had been raised in Benoni in January 1964. The regiment was relocated to Springs and took its current name in March 1972. The regiment saw service on the SWA Border in 1975 during Operation Savannah, on the RSA's eastern borders in the late 1980s, and also performed Internal Security duties in the townships. It was disbanded in 1996.

Regiment Westelike Provincie
Regiment Westelike Provinsie (with an "s")(RWP) was raised at Stellenbosch on 1 Apr 1934. In 1940 it was used to form 5th Armoured Fighting Vehicle Regiment and converted to armour. In 1949 it became Regiment Onze Jan and in 1960 it converted back to infantry as Regiment Boland (RB). The 1st Bn of RB reverted back to RWP in 1974, based in Cape Town. It served in Angola in 1976, and several tours of duty in the Border War. In 1983 it was renamed to Regiment Westelike Provincie (with a "c")

South African Irish Regiment
The South African Irish Regiment (SAIR) was founded in Johannesburg during September 1914 (although its official establishment date is given as 11 Nov 1939). It saw action against the Germans in South West Africa, German East Africa, North Africa in the Western Desert. In 1946 it was reformed as the 22nd Field Regiment, SAA (SA IRISH), until 1960 when it reverted back to being an Infantry Regiment with the original name. It saw active duty in Angola and the Border war and formed part of 72 Motorised Brigade up to 1989 and then as part of 81 Armoured Brigade from 1989 until 1991.

State President's Guard
The State President's Guard (SPG) [Afr: Staatspresidentswag] was established as an elite, specially trained unit in May 1967. It performed both protective and ceremonial functions. Over the course of its twenty-three-year history, it was eventually located at the South African Army College in Pretoria. Although the primary task of the State President's Guard was to act as home guard for the State President and as guard of honour on ceremonial occasions, they also did border duty. Consequently, the training of the Unit was quite diverse and intensive and the requirements for selection were very strict. President P. W. Botha changed the name of the unit to the "State President's Unit" [Afr: Staatspresidents-eenheid] in 1985, and later the ceremonial uniform was changed to the regular service uniform used by the rest of the defense forces. President F. W. de Klerk disbanded the unit on 30 Sep 1990.

SWA Specialist Unit
The South West African Specialist Unit (SWASPES) grew out of 101 Specialist Unit, formed at Oshivelo in 1977 to centralise reaction force elements. The Equestrian Centre became involved in the first purpose built frontline horse and motorcycle mounted infantry base in the Operational Area. By 1978, it comprised of 2 companies of mounted infantry, 2 platoons each of trackers and motorcyclists, and 60 dogs and was renamed 1 SWA Specialist Unit (1 SWASPES). By 1982 it had transferred to the SWATF with a base at Otavi. Equestrian platoons were detached to bases across the Operational Area, though the main equestrian unit in South West Africa was stationed at Oshivelo. Elements took part in most internal and external operations.

Uitenhage Regiment
Stood up as a cadre unit in the 1965 Army expansion, the Uitenhage Regiment [Afr: Regiment Uitenhage] was formed as an english-speaking Citizen Force infantry battalion in 1966. They considered themselves the descendents of the Uitenhage Volunteer Rifles and all other Volunteer corps raised in Uitenhage in the 19th Century. During the latter part of 2000, Regiment Algoa Bay, Regiment Uitenhage and Donkin Regiment were amalgamated with Regiment Piet Retief.

Wes Gebied Bataljon*
55 Battalion (55 BN) [Afr: 55 Bataljon] was formed as one of the few Modular SA Battalions in SWA. It was based at Nepara in Sector 20 with a core of PF officers and NCOs on 2- to 4-year tours, and National Servicemen in their second year of service. SWATF Sub-units were attached according to the varying requirements, and that's why it was referred to as `modular'. 55 Bn's main responsibility was to secure the area around Nepara. Originally known as the West Area Battalion [Afr: Wes Gebied Bataljon], the name was only officially changed to 55 Battalion in late 1986. The unit was disbanded in 1989, as per UN Resolution 435. (* As far as I coiuld establish, the West Area Battalion emblem depicted was never worn as a shoulder flash)

Witwatersrand Rifles
The Witwatersrand Rifles was established in Germiston on 1 May 1903 by merging the Railway Pioneer Regiment and the Rand Rifles. It served in Damaraland and in the north of German South West Africa in 1914-1915 and served with Regiment Botha in Egypt in 1942, and with Regiment de la Rey in the Apennines in 1945. From 1976 to 1986 the unit was involved in the Border War. In 1981 it converted to mechanised infantry.




ONLY LOGGED-IN MEMBERS CAN USE THIS FEATURE!
GET YOUR SADF OUMAN STICKER HERE

@ 2007 War In Angola - Veridical Solutions