Maj.-Gen. van Deventer was given the following tasks when he took over command on 14 November 1975:
- securing and development of the traditional UNITA area with, if possible, the provision of aid to the FNLA in Northern Angola;
- occupation of the area up to the Cuanza River;
- securing and restoration of the Benguela railway line;
- capture of enemy positions like Henrique de Carvalho (Saurimo) where required and where possible;
- ensuring of the safety of the soldiers and equipment of the South African Defence Force in Angola and during the withdrawal when evacuating;
- clearing of SWAPO within a demilitarised zone along the border between Angola and South West Africa;
- destroying the electrical supply to Luanda.
The rest of the content on this page is intended for PREMIUM MEMBERS only!
If you would like to become a PREMIUM MEMBER, or find out more about the services and information offered to PREMIUM MEMBERS, go to our Premium Membership Page....