Register  Login
..::  »    Unit Profiles » Unit Profiles ::..

 
South African Forces
South African Forces


4 Survey and Mapping Regiment

Find Another UnitBrief Description
4 Survey and Mapping Regiment - (2 members)

4 Survey and Printing Regiment was formed on 1 January 1967, as a unit for both the Permanent Force and Citizen Force. It was reformed by amalgamation in 1983 of the 3 Survey Squadrons which existed at that time, 46 Survey Squadron, formed at Cape Town in 1959, 45 Survey Squadron, formed at Pietermaritzburg in 1969, and 47 Survey Squadron, a PF unit formed in 1975. This Unit trained all the National Servicemen posted to it and in turn fed the two CF Survey Units which had been established. By 1992, 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment comprised of the Geographical Information Squadron, the Terrain Negotiability Squadron (degraded to a Troop status in 1994), the Mapping Squadron, as well as 45 Survey Squadron, 46 Survey Squadron and 47 Survey Squadron. Another unofficial squadron, 49 Survey Squadron, was seemingly unofficially established in 1995, but it just comprised of the reserve force component of 47 Survey Squadron.


Link me to this Unit
History

RE: 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment

The Second World War 1939 - 1945
The Italian Campaign, July 1943 - May 1945
The first SAEC unit to set foot on the European continent in World War II was Major G.E. Marriott’s 46 Survey Company. The work of 46 Survey Company earned special appreciation, being amongst the first four recipients of the 5th US Army service plaque and clasp “for excellence in discipline, performance and merit” in making surveys along the entire army front and absorbing the normal function of an American topographic battalion. [46]
The 49 Survey Company of Major J.H. Scott left Ladysmith in South Africa and, arriving in the Middle East on 18 December 1943, was placed under the 5th US Army in January 1944. Here they took over part of the map revision programme from 46 Survey Company and received a steady stream of orders for maps and enlargements. With the 49 Survey Company transferred to 8th Army, South African surveyors became responsible for surveying on both American 5th Army and the British 8th Army fronts. In addition, as a particular service to the air forces, 49 Survey Company found the exact co-ordinates of selected distant targets in complicated conversions of the Yugoslav, Austrian and other grids to the Italian grid. This made computation of both flight time and exact course to a target from any airfield in Italy possible. With the complete Italian trigonometric data captured 49 Survey Company checked and identified trigonometric stations for the 8th Army in addition to now routine map revision and map printing. Neither the American nor the British artillery units could have done without the accurate trigonometric survey details provided by the two South African units and to the very end of the Italian campaign remained dependant on the 46 and 49 Survey Companies for their primary survey information. The two lithographic sections attached to the survey companies, which had printed no fewer than 7 512 000 maps during their tour of duty, became non-operational during June 1945 and by the end of September were disbanded and all printing activities ceased. The 49 Survey Company was dissolved on 23 October 1945. [47]

The period 1946 - 1973
All three survey units served with distinction throughout the war, after which 45 and 49 Survey Companies were disbanded and only 46 Survey Company, SAEC (ACF), established on 1 August 1946, continued as an active unit in the South African Army. During the post-war period (1946–1961) the Survey Company was split up on a regional basis with headquarters in Johannesburg and sections in Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg and Stellenbosch. On 1 January 1954 the unit was renamed 46 Survey Squadron, SAEC and again on 31 January 1959 when it became 46 Survey Squadron. From 1963 to 1968 the Squadron carried out extensive mapping tasks for both military and civilian purposes in the Transvaal and Namibia (formerly South West Africa). The 46 Survey Squadron has, since 1963, had very close links with the Survey and Mapping Chief Directorate, formerly Trigonometrical Survey, and much of its work has been of great value to both military and civilian surveyors. [48]
After numerous establishments and disbandments of printing and survey elements in the SAEC, 4 Survey and Printing Regiment was formed on 1 January 1967, as a unit for both the Permanent Force and Citizen Force.[49] On 1 July 1969, 45 Survey Squadron SAEC (CF) was re-established as a unit of the SA Army, with its headquarters...


RE: 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment

Latest Contact Information (SANDF):
4 Survey and Mapping Regiment
Private Bag X08
Thaba Tshwane
South Africa
0143
Tel: 27 12 671 0999...


RE: 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment

4 Survey and Mapping Regiment Flag (as per Art Card)...


RE: 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment

Art Card for the 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment Shoulder Flash, approved 1994:...


RE: 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment

Art Card for the 4 Survey and Mapping Regiment Cap Badge, approved 1994:...


Post your Comments here...

Only Registered Users may view the Members, History and ROH of this unit
YearNumber of members on Roll Of Honour
TOTAL:
0
Facebook Comments (Please note that this does NOT send notifications to the host)



Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET
Images from 'Grensoorlog' series, produced by Linda de Jager, reproduced with kind permission from MNET

GET YOUR SADF OUMAN STICKER HERE

@ 2007 War In Angola - Veridical Solutions